Essay topics: tpo50.integ
Both the reading and listening parts offer two opposite views about the possibility of sending a human to Mars. While the passage lists three problems of this trip to depict this mission cannot occur; the professor, on the other hand, presents three solutions for these problems, to show this trip's feasibility.
First of all, the text discussed the long duration of this journey and the requirement of sufficient food, oxygen, and water for this period, which is against the vehicle's cargo limit. In contrast, the instructor refers to Hydroponic plants as the solution to this issue. As she describes, this plant relies on the water instead of soil for its growth and occupies small areas. So, the astronauts can cultivate food crops by this system and compactly have sufficient food resource. Moreover, this plant recycles the wastewater and releases the clean water vapor which could be used as the potable water source too. In addition, this plant as the other plants convert the CO2 to the oxygen, which can also be considered as a source of fresh air. Consequently, Hydroponics can be responsible for this issue.
Another issue mentioned in the article is the side-effects of zero gravitation on the astronaut’s health; which severely causes the decrement of muscle mass and the bone density. Otherwise, the lecturer, by referring to the various long space trips taken recently, provides a clue that the negative impacts of this two-year trip can be assuaged by some techniques. As she explains, regular exercise prevents the degradation of muscle mass; furthermore, taking vitamin such as Vit D can prevent the decrement of bone density. Therefore, during this journey, the astronomers can do sport and take a vitamin to deal with these problems too.
Finally, meanwhile, the passage lists the hazardous space radiation, as another issue of this trip; the professor, on the contrary, mentions a fact about this radiation which shows this danger is not that much severe as asserted in the text. According to her explanation, this radiation is not consistence and occurred confessionally. Thus, the astronauts can use a light-weighted monitor to detect when the spaceship exposed to this radiation, and with moveable and small shield protect this vehicle from this danger.
- 17.The following appeared in a memo from the director of a large group of hospitals."In a laboratory study of liquid antibacterial hand soaps, a concentrated solution of UltraClean produced a 40 percent greater reduction in the bacteria population th (58)
- The following appeared in a letter from a firm providing investment advice to a client."Homes in the northeastern United States, where winters are typically cold, have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for heating. Last year that region expe (54)
- 1.The main benefit of the study of history is to dispel the illusion that people living now are significantly different from people who lived in earlier times.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the stateme (50)
- The following appeared in a memo from the president of Bower Builders, a company that constructs new homes."A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. A number of h (58)
- . Many important discoveries or creations are accidental: it is usually while seeking the answer to one question that we come across the answer to another.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement a (66)
- 14.The following appeared in a memo from the vice president of marketing at Dura-Sock, Inc."A recent study of our customers suggests that our company is wasting the money it spends on its patented Endure manufacturing process, which ensures that our (60)
- 1.In order for any work of art — for example, a film, a novel, a poem, or a song — to have merit, it must be understandable to most people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain y (58)
- The following appeared in an editorial in a business magazine."Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey (44)
- 1.The effectiveness of a country's leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for (66)
- Humans arrived in the Kaliko Islands about 7,000 years ago, and within 3,000 years most of the large mammal species that had lived in the forests of the Kaliko Islands had become. Yet humans cannot have been a factor in the species' extinctions, because t (43)