In Martin Luther King Jr’s “Beyond Vietnam- A time to break silence, he explains how the American involvement in the Vietnam War is unjust. He uses vivid language,personal anecdote, and pathos to help himself convince us.
He uses vivid language when he states, “My [next] reason moves to an even deeper level of awareness, for it grows out of my experience in the ghettos of the North over the last three years—especially the last three summers.”(Luther 3) He uses vivid language to put an image in our head of himself in ghettos. He knows about the ghettos, and had personally experienced it.
Secondly, Luther uses personal anecdote to help convince us. He shows that even he had experienced what he was talking about. That helps us understand his meaning. He uses personal anecdote when he states, “I knew that America would never invest the necessary funds or energies in rehabilitation of its poor so long as adventures like Vietnam continued to draw men and skills and money like some demonic destructive suction tube.” (Luther 1) This shows that Luther had a lot of personal relations regarding the American government. This is an example of personal anecdote, because it is what he has personally met with.
Finally, Luther uses the skill of pathos, in his passage. He uses pathos in paragraph two when he states, “Perhaps a more tragic recognition of reality took place when it became clear to me that the war was doing far more than devastating the hopes of the poor at home” (Luther 2) Pathos is when a person uses emotions to convince someone. It is often used in propaganda. Luther uses this skill to convince us. He shows the tragic things that happened during the war, and the things that the Americans did not help with.
Martin Luther King Jr explains why the American participation in the Vietnam war may not have been a good idea. He tries explaining this with many ideas. In these ideas, he uses Vivid language, pathos, and personal anecdote to convince us.
- The most important value to share with a young child (5-10 years old)—Helping others —Honesty —Being well organised 60
- A little over 2 200 years ago the Roman navy attached the Greek port city of Syracuse According to some ancient historians the Greeks defended themselves with an ingenious weapon called a burning mirror a polished copper surface curved to focus 88
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement It is better for children to grow up in the countryside than in a large city Use specific reasons and examples to develop your essay 60
- TPO-15 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? In order to become financially responsible adults, children should learn to manage their own money at young age. Use specific reasons and examples to support your ans 60
- A university education should be provided free of charge to all interested scholars.Do you agree or disagree with the statement? Use examples and reasons to support your position. 60
Attribute Value Ideal
Final score: 4.0 out of 6
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 18 15
No. of Words: 344 350
No. of Characters: 1582 1500
No. of Different Words: 174 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.307 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.599 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.479 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 108 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 76 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 53 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 24 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 19.111 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 15.416 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.333 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.365 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.546 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.213 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5