This week we will be discussing a shortage of affordable housing that exists in many countries In these places housing both apartments and houses is expensive because the population is growing faster than new housing is being built Now think about places

This week we will be discussing a shortage of affordable housing that exists in many countries. In these places, housing –both apartments and houses -is expensive because the population is growing faster than new housing is being built. Now, think about places in your country that have a housing shortage. In your post, I would like you to indicate the most effective way for a government to address a housing shortage in your country. Please explain why you think so.

Claire:
In my country, there is a lack of affordable housing in the big cities. Low-cost houses exist in areas outside of the cities, but that means that workers have long commutes to reach their jobs in the cities. I recommend that my government create new initiatives to encourage the construction of large buildings with many affordable apartments in cities.
Paul:
Claire’s recommendation is fine, but many people prefer to live in a house rather than in an apartment, even if they have longer commutes. Living in a house can be quieter and more private. So, I believe my government should give subsidies or tax relief to construction companies to build small, affordable single-family houses on unused lands that surround many cities.

In my opinion, Paul’s recommendation is the most effective way for the government to address the housing shortage in my country. While large apartment buildings may provide affordable housing in cities, many people prefer to live in houses. By providing subsidies or tax relief to construction companies to build small, affordable single-family houses on unused lands surrounding cities, the government can cater to the needs and preferences of a larger population. Additionally, this approach will also help to reduce commuting time and costs for workers who currently live far from their workplaces. However, the government needs to ensure that these houses are truly affordable and not subject to price increases over time. Overall, this approach strikes a balance between addressing the housing shortage and meeting the needs and preferences of citizens.