137 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement High schools should allow students to study the courses that students want to study Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion

Unlike university, in high school, you do not get to choose the specific courses you want to study. High school education is more on teaching students a broad variety of knowledge that prepares you for anything you want to pursue in the future. University is where you focus on one thing and hone your skills into specializing in your future career choice. I personally believe that this system is right and beneficial to the majority. I feel this way for two reasons, which I will explore in the following essay.

One of the traits of a human being is indecisiveness. A person’s mind and goal is something that can change anytime. I believe that a young mind is not capable of deciding what they want to be for the rest of their lives. I personally, as a 17 year old, still have not decided what profession I want to pursue. If I had to make a choice to study one specific course at the age of 15, just starting high school. I am sure I would have had a change of mind or regrets.

Another reason why is because everyone should have a backup plan that they can fall onto in case things do not work out. The things you learn in high school is general knowledge that could help you get into any course you want in university. If you focus on one specific thing since high school, and you want to pursue something else, you will have to restart, which is very inefficient and would have been a huge waste of time. However, if you have a change of heart after you have finished high school and possess enough cognition, it would be easier to change your route.

In conclusion, I hold the opinion that an early teenager is not capable of selecting a life course. A change of mind of an individual’s career choice is very common, and in case of that, we need to have our options open. A high school education allows us to alter the course of our life without having to restart, hence my belief that high schoolers should study the required courses as the education system developed it to match each student.