application letter

application letter

Dear Prof. ...,

I am writing to apply for PhD position for the project “....”, as advertised on your personal page in Civil Engineering department Website of ..... I respectfully submit this letter of application, because I believe that my academic background and experiences are well qualified to meet the needs of the position.

My M.Sc. thesis, entitled “Research and Development of Homogenization Method for Micropile-Raft Foundation” was conducted under the tutelage of Professor .... In the main part of my thesis, a new approach with a new formulation for homogenization has been developed. A Micropile-raft foundation has been analyzed using both direct and homogenization approaches. After comparing the results of the analysis, sufficient accuracy of homogenization approach using proposed homogenization method has been approved. Furthermore, the proposed method compare to Equivalent Pier Method (another homogenization method suggested by Polous, 1980), was more accurate in both 3D and 2D numerical software and utilizable in software based on Winkler’s model of elastic foundation. From my Master thesis, I presented three papers in national and international conferences and also my journal paper is under revision. The list of publications are available in my attached CV.

In addition to Master’s degree thesis, I have carried out the seismic performance of earth dam, investigation of the static and seismic performance of gravity-blocked type quay wall focusing on liquefaction potential of backfill soil and overall stability of structure of the quay wall (permanent displacement and surface tilt of the deck). Alongside the academic part, I have worked in a soil laboratory as a technician which enhanced my knowledge about different laboratory and in-situ geotechnical tests. Afterwards, I have employed and worked as a supervisor engineer in Atlass Mall Project during excavation, making retaining structure and some parts of foundation construction levels.

I have studied your papers “Analytical Approach for Modeling Axisymmetric Levee Underseepage,”, “Column Supported Embankments with Geosynthetic Encased Columns: Validity of the Unit Cell Concept” and “Evaluation of Simplified Methods for Predicting Earthquake-Induced Slope Displacements in Earth Dams and Embankments” to be more acquaintance with your research and found them very interesting.

My research interests include earth dams (dyke and levee), geotechnical earthquake engineering, foundation engineering and geosynthetics. I am truly motivated for doing research and learning more in these fields. I believe that your research areas and expertise besides my relative experience and background could provide a good condition to pursue my PhD study in the University of Delaware. I was wondering if there is any chance for me to join your research group and do my PhD studies under your supervision. I have attached my CV and am available for interview at earliest convenience. Please feel free to contact me should you require further information at via details provided above.

Thank you for consideration my application.

Best Regards,

I am writing to apply for PhD position for the project
I am writing to apply for the PhD position for the project

the proposed method compare to Equivalent Pier Method (another homogenization method suggested by Polous, 1980), was more accurate
Description: what is the subject for 'was' ? can you re-write this sentence?

I believe that your research areas and expertise besides my relative experience and background could provide a good condition to pursue my PhD study in the University of Delaware.

at earliest convenience
at the earliest convenience