TPO58 Task1

TPO58- Task1

The reading and the lecture are both about the parameters that make Spartacus' story much appealing. Whereas the author of the reading states that there are several aspects of his story that make it attractive, the lecturer suggests that those stories are inaccurate. The lecturer casts doubt on the main points of the reading by providing three reasons.
First of all, according to the reading, the Spartacus' original goal was to return home. However, the lecturer disputes this point. She says that this was not the only goal of Spartacus because he and his men had the opportunity to escape but they did not use this situation. Furthermore, they stayed to conquer the city and remained in revenge to obtain wealth.
Secondly, the reading states that the small and poor army of Spartacus in contrast to the large, well-financed army of Roman, makes his story interesting. Nevertheless, the lecturer refutes this argument. She argues that the Roman military was not really genius at first because they did not take Spartacus seriously, so they did not use their powerful army. But after they started to use their best soldiers, Spartacus failed.
Finally, the reading claims that Spartacus wanted to liberate all Roman slaves. On the other hand, the lecturer believes that it is just a story with an obvious source. Because in 18th century, Europeans were really practiced slavery, the singers and writers at that time started to oppose slavery, so they thought that Spartacus can be the hero in which compete against this concept. Therefore, this is just an inspirational story.