Essay topics: 1.1. Twenty years ago, Dr. Field, a noted anthropologist, visited the island of Tertia. Using an observation-centered approach to studying Tertian culture, he concluded from his observations that children in Tertia were reared by an entire village rather than by their own biological parents. Recently another anthropologist, Dr. Karp, visited the group of islands that includes Tertia and used the interview-centered method to study child-rearing practices. In the interviews that Dr. Karp conducted with children living in this group of islands, the children spent much more time talking about their biological parents than about other adults in the village. Dr. Karp decided that Dr. Field's conclusion about Tertian village culture must be invalid. Some anthropologists recommend that to obtain accurate information on Tertian child-rearing practices, future research on the subject should be conducted via the interview-centered method.
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.
The note mentions that according to the two pieces of research conducted by Dr. Field and Dr. Krap with the difference of twenty years, some anthropologists propound the usage of interview-centered study instead of observation-based one to get the valid data about the method of parenting in Tertain. This is the recommendation cannot be accepted as it stands as it relies on the list of surmises all of which are skeptical; besides, for the verification of these hypotheses, some crucial inquiry should be responded.
The first issues are the scope and time factor of study considered by the anthropologists, while Dr. Field only specified his research on Tertain island, the Dr. Krap considered a list of islands which includes Tertain too. As mentioned, there is a difference in the considered population for the study; therefore, the concluded result will not be identical. In addition, there is the twenty-year difference between these two conducted studies, when there is the probability of the alteration in the parenting system. For verification of this comparison accuracy, some questions should be answered. The first question which should be answered is about the considered scope of the study, do the other islands in the list of Dr. Krap research possess the same cultural value as the Tertain island? Since there is the possibility of the variety of cultural values and kid sitting methods between Tertain island and others; besides, at those islands, the direct caring of the children is done by the biological parents instead of neighborhoods. Consequently, as the number of these islands were in the majority, the ultimate result is more inclined to the bulk. The second question concerns about the time variation factor, and the note should be responsible for the question that does all parenting pattern during the past twenty years was identical without the variation. Because, during these twenty years, the child generation considered by Dr. Field has become the adult and parent, and there is the probability that based on their childhood experiences, they prefer to rear their children by themselves rather than other people in the island. Therefore, the note should responses these question until verifies the accuracy of this comparison.
Another problem with the note is the method used by the Dr. Krap, the solo information about this study is its method; on the other hand, there is no clue about the number of kids who answer the questioner and type of the questions. For achieving the unshaken position, the note should answer some questions. Firstly, what is the population of considered kids for an interview? As known, the great the number of studied populations, the higher the reliability and validity of that research. In addition, can the ultimate output be generalized to the entire population? Since this study is human-based and various parameters such as the age range, family background, gender, education, genetics, and previous experiences have influence and lead to the alteration and variation of result from one person to another. In this case, the considered scope by Dr. Krap should be the exact indication of the public and not specified to a specific gender or age.
Finally, the advice considered by the anthropologists as the flawless method of examination and study of the cultural study is the interview-centered. Even by consideration of the error of Dr. Field finding this overgeneralization of this mistake and underestimation of the observation-based study is not a fair attitude toward the study. For cogent understating and recommendation, these anthropologists should answer whether is there any other anthropological study based on the observation which faces the failure and errs? If there is any, what are the ratio of their falsehood to entire done studies by this method? If there are other cases with a high ratio of failure, this advice can be accepted; otherwise, it is not acceptable.
To wrap it up, all the aforementioned questions, explicitly illustrate the shakiness of this recommendation and its requirement for further explanation and clarification.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|1 month 4 days ago||Captain||54||Read full essay|
|1 month 1 week ago||asdas||43||Read full essay|
|1 month 1 week ago||asdas||44||Read full essay|
|1 month 2 weeks ago||Guilherme Feltes||49||Read full essay|
|2 months 1 week ago||monish keswani||60||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 weeks ago||naveenkumar2208||60||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 weeks ago||sauercraut||56.5||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 weeks ago||j-himanshu||51.5||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 weeks ago||gps06||69||Read full essay|
|2 months 3 weeks ago||sujoy||50||Read full essay|
- 17.The following appeared in a memo from the director of a large group of hospitals."In a laboratory study of liquid antibacterial hand soaps, a concentrated solution of UltraClean produced a 40 percent greater reduction in the bacteria population th (58)
- The following appeared in a letter from a firm providing investment advice to a client."Homes in the northeastern United States, where winters are typically cold, have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for heating. Last year that region expe (54)
- 1.The main benefit of the study of history is to dispel the illusion that people living now are significantly different from people who lived in earlier times.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the stateme (50)
- The following appeared in a memo from the president of Bower Builders, a company that constructs new homes."A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. A number of h (58)
- . Many important discoveries or creations are accidental: it is usually while seeking the answer to one question that we come across the answer to another.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement a (66)
- 14.The following appeared in a memo from the vice president of marketing at Dura-Sock, Inc."A recent study of our customers suggests that our company is wasting the money it spends on its patented Endure manufacturing process, which ensures that our (60)
- 1.In order for any work of art — for example, a film, a novel, a poem, or a song — to have merit, it must be understandable to most people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain y (58)
- The following appeared in an editorial in a business magazine."Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey (44)
- 1.The effectiveness of a country's leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for (66)
- Humans arrived in the Kaliko Islands about 7,000 years ago, and within 3,000 years most of the large mammal species that had lived in the forests of the Kaliko Islands had become. Yet humans cannot have been a factor in the species' extinctions, because t (43)