The following appeared in a memo from the president of Bower Builders, a company that constructs new homes."A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. A number of homes

The following appeared in a memo from the president of Bower Builders, a company that constructs new homes.

"A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. A number of homes in our area built by our competitor Domus Construction have such features and have sold much faster and at significantly higher prices than the national average. To boost sales and profits, we should increase the size of the family rooms and kitchens in all the homes we build and should make state-of-the-art kitchens a standard feature. Moreover, our larger family rooms and kitchens can come at the expense of the dining room, since many of our recent buyers say they do not need a separate dining room for family meals."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

In order to boost sales and increase profits the president of Bower Builders company (BBC) recommends constructing houses with large family room and large well-situated kitchen. This statement is buttressed by evidence which is connected with the conclusion by assumptions which should be carefully scrutinized in order to give a comprehensive estimation of the soundness of the argument.

The first evidence which is given to us is the result of nationwide survey. However, does this research represent the customers of the BBC? Any nationwide survey by definition gives an average representation of the nation and thus if for instance, residents of seven towns out of nine want to have large kitchen and family room and two of these towns do not desire to have these features, a nationwide survey will annihilate these difference. In other words, usage of the survey is not reasonable.

The second evidence which was used by the writer is that houses, which are erected by Domus Construction, have these features and these buildings are sold faster and at higher price. Despite the fact that writer tends to believe that only large kitchen and family room cause the success, perhaps other factors which were not taken into consideration have impacted on it. For example, the rival may use better or/and ecologically safer materials for constructing these houses, moreover, the competitor may build these houses in decent neighborhoods with good schools and infrastructure for living. Consequently, other factors may lead to the success of Domus Construction.

Additionally to it, even if the root of the success of the rival company is these features the writer's extrapolation of experience of Domus Construction on BBC seems to be unsupported. We do not know whereas these companies are similar to each other or not. Probably, they work with different type of clients and build houses in distinct prices value. Consequently, repetition of the actions, which lead to success in one case, may bring disastrous consequences for the other company.

Furthermore, the author avers that in order to boost sales and increase profits, BBC should install state-of-the art kitchen in all its homes. However, the installation of these modern and supposedly expensive kitchens may lead to the catastrophic rise of houses costs; moreover, the installation of these kitchen in all houses seems to be unreasonable due to the fact that we are not given any information about clients preferences. How many of them want to have this type of kitchen? Till we are not given this information it is dangerous to fulfill the policy.

Finally, the author states that many of recent clients see no use in separate dining room for family meals. At the same time, writer's proposal to use this space for expensing kitchen and family room seems to be a hasty generalization. Probably, future customers have many relatives or simply have other prospects on the necessity of a separate dining room. Thus author's idea to use this space is unreasonable.

In conclusion, the writer assumes that in order to increase profit and sales, BBC should construct houses with large family room and kitchen; unfortunately, this statement is not supported properly and thus the results of the implementation of the proposal are unclear.

All arguments are OK.

Pay attention to the language.

------------------------