Essay topics: The following is part of a memorandum from the president of Humana University.
"Last year the number of students who enrolled in online degree programs offered by nearby Omni University increased by 50 percent. During the same year, Omni showed a significant decrease from prior years in expenditures for dormitory and classroom space, most likely because online instruction takes place via the Internet. In contrast, over the past three years, enrollment at Humana University has failed to grow and the cost of maintaining buildings has increased. Thus, to increase enrollment and solve the problem of budget deficits at Humana University, we should initiate and actively promote online degree programs like those at Omni."
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.
The argument avers that Omni University; near to Humana University, has experienced a 50% increase in enrollment after introducing online degree programs last year. Not just the enrollment increased, also the expenses decreased in Omni University. Because of all these advantages, the president of Humana University wants to promote online degree programs to thrive like Omni University. The argument is based on many unstated assumptions and it has flaws in many points.
First of all, the argument fails to provide justification that the two mentioned universities, Humana University and Omni University are similar. The two universities can differ in many ways. Perhaps Omni University has a small campus and lower number of students than Humana University. Perhaps Omni University has a significantly lower number of students than Omni university. There are not much information provided in the argument about the sizes, students, faculties, professors or any other things, which makes it very obscure to examine the argument. If two universities are completely different from each other, it will undermine the argument that Omni University's initiative will work for Humana University.
Secondly, Omni University experienced a 50% increase in student enrollment, but the argument did not mention the number of students of Omni University in any of the years. Perhaps, the number of enrollment is very low. If there were 20 students before the online program in Omni university and 30 students after introducing the program, that would also make the enrollment increased by 50% but would be pointless to compare it with Humana University if Humana deals with thousands of students every year.
Thirdly, the argument itself is not sure about the actual reason of the decrease in expenses for dormitory and classroom space. Dormitory and classroom expenses can decrease for many other reasons, not necessarily for introducing online program. Perhaps, the classroom and dormitory in Omni University are not so clean and sound; perhaps, the facilities are not enough for students so they stay outside the campus in rented houses. Probably the students do not join the classroom anymore. If any of the assumptions is true, it will weaken the argument.
Fourthly, there is not much information provided about the failure of student growth in Humana University. Also, the argument lacks to provide information about the reasons of the budget deficits at Humana University. There might be various reasons. Probably the maintenance cost of Humana University is higher. Perhaps, there are lots of problems in budget management in Humana University. Or perhaps, Humana University has very strict rules and regulations for which, students are reluctant to apply to Humana University. There are many unstated assumptions in the argument, which can weaken the argument.
The argument, as it stands now is flawed. It relies on too many unwarranted assumptions and needs a lot more information to be proved as justified.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|5 days 6 hours ago||Alatise87||68||Read full essay|
|1 week 1 day ago||Dipu2012||33||Read full essay|
|1 month 4 days ago||heijihys||68||Read full essay|
|1 month 1 week ago||jms96ZZ||58||Read full essay|
|1 month 3 weeks ago||Gh.Ne||85||Read full essay|
|1 month 4 weeks ago||kkkk_kkkk||60||Read full essay|
|4 months 2 days ago||soxmomomo||58||Read full essay|
|4 months 4 days ago||Nina Zhang||50||Read full essay|
|4 months 5 days ago||Chandana||48||Read full essay|
|5 months 3 days ago||J a Hermione||79||Read full essay|
- The following is part of a memorandum from the president of Humana University."Last year the number of students who enrolled in online degree programs offered by nearby Omni University increased by 50 percent. During the same year, Omni showed a sign (69)
- Argument Topic: "The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company. "According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen (30)
- the best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industries and other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition (50)
- The following appeared in a letter from the faculty committee to the president of Seatown University:A study conducted at nearby Oceania University showed that faculty retention is higher when professors are offered free tuition at the university for thei (58)
- Claim: Even though young people often receive the advice to “follow your dreams,” more emphasis should be placed on picking worthy goals.Reason: Many people’s dreams are inherently selfish. (58)
- In an attempt to improve highway safety, Prunty County last year lowered its speed limit from 55 to 45 miles per hour on all county highways. But this effort has failed: the number of accidents has not decreased, and, based on reports by the highway patro (60)
- Teacher's salaries should be based on their academic performances of their students. (50)
- the government in Littleville plans to build a large mall in a newly constructed zone outside the city. Littleville hopes to attract many wealthy clients who it believes will shop at the Littleville mall's many planned boutique store. Ten years ago B (50)