The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company.
"According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in any other year. And yet the percentage of positive reviews by movie reviewers about specific Super Screen movies actually increased during the past year. Clearly, the contents of these reviews are not reaching enough of our prospective viewers. Thus, the problem lies not with the quality of our movies but with the public's lack of awareness that movies of good quality are available. Super Screen should therefore allocate a greater share of its budget next year to reaching the public through advertising."
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.
In the given memo, the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company suggests that the company should allocate a greater share of its budget next year on advertisement in order to increase the number of viewers of their movies. However, the argument is dubious as it relies on many unwarranted assumptions. To evaluate it better, the author should provide adequate evidence according to the questions suggested below.
Firstly, based on the fact that the high percentage of positive movie reviews of specific movies of Super Screen Movie, the author hastily assumes that the qua...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure 57
- Nations should pass laws to preserve any remaining wilderness areas in their natural state, even if these areas could be developed for economic gain.Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position 78
- Arctic deer live on islands in Canada's arctic regions. They search for food by moving over ice from island to island during the course of the year. Their habitat is limited to areas warm enough to sustain the plants on which they feed and cold enough, at 54
- Some people believe that corporations have a responsibility to promote the well-being of the societies and environments in which they operate. Others believe that the only responsibility of corporations, provided they operate within the law, is to make as 68
- Fifteen years ago, Omega University implemented a new procedure that encouraged students to evaluate the teaching effectiveness of all their professors. Since that time, Omega professors have begun to assign higher grades in their classes, and overall stu 69
argument 1 -- OK
argument 2 -- OK
argument 3 -- OK
Attribute Value Ideal
Final score: 5.0 out of 6
Category: Very Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 21 15
No. of Words: 501 350
No. of Characters: 2520 1500
No. of Different Words: 188 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.731 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.03 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.58 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 197 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 131 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 89 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 48 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 23.857 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 8.817 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.857 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.364 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.553 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.112 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5