An international development organization, in response to a vitamin A deficiency among people in the impoverished nation of Tagus, has engineered a new breed of millet high in vitamin A. While seeds for this new type of millet cost more, farmers will be p

An international development organization, in response to a vitamin A deficiency among people in the impoverished nation of Tagus, has engineered a new breed of millet high in vitamin A. While seeds for this new type of millet cost more, farmers will be paid subsidies for farming the new variety of millet. Since millet is already a staple food in Tagus, people will readily adopt the new variety. To combat vitamin A deficiency, the government of Tagus should do everything it can to promote this new type of millet.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The above argument presents a recommendation of the International development organization of Tagus in which they offered their views about introduction of new millet seeds to enhance the vitamin A content in the citizens. They decided to encourage the farmers for the production of new seeds by providing them the subsidies. Since millet is already readily acceptable by the public, the government or officials need not take any special steps or measures for its marketing and disbursement in the country. Though, the recommendation seems quite influential as the health issues have been deeply considered but it haws certain loopholes as it lacks proper evidences and logic that make the results flimsy and spurious.

First of all, the author mentioned that people of Tagus lacks Vitamin A in their bodies along with description of the nation as "impoverished". How can one ignore the possibility that citizens might be so poor that they lack funds to attain two times healthy meal to maintain their nourishment level. In this regard, introduction of new seeds, even by offering subsidies to the farmers, won't yield any positive results. Thus, to make accurate recommendation, the author need to consider the economic structure of the society. And if needed, the subsidies would have been given on the market retail price of commodities so that normal people can have easy access to these in the market.

Furthermore, the author is extrapolating by saying that being a staple food, people will readily accept new variety of millet. What if people are having access to fast-foods and taking the millet twice or thrice in a week? In such a scenario, new variety of millet won't alter their eating habits and thus, mere wastage of money and resources by the government. Also, the author mentioned that government of Tagus will take all the necessary efforts to promote new type of millet, as far as my opinion is concerned, Government should more be focused on the health factor of its citizens rather than promoting new type of millet; as what matters for a nation is healthy well-being of denizens in-spite of introduction of new food in the market.

Last but not the least, nothing has been mentioned about the sample under study, the author presented the complete review under a umbrella term using 'people of Tagus' and didn't consider the demographic structure of society. What if the population is comprised of lesser number of adults and youth while a glut of old-aged people. As old age is prone to deficient of requisite minerals, vitamins etc from one's body; in the lack of these the organization is wrong to deduce the result over the whole set of population. If the age and gender structure be given the results would have been more logical.

To conclude, we can say, the results could have been more accurate and apt if the author would have paid heed to the other factors like their occupational structure, genetic factors, exposure to natural environment etc. In the absence of all these, one can never conclude that deficiency of Vitamin A is just due to lack of good food. It can be related to other subsidiary factors. Had the recommendations be finalized after considering all these, the results could have been reliable and valid.

argument 1 -- not OK. Here goes the argument: 'While seeds for this new type of millet cost more, farmers will be paid subsidies for farming the new variety of millet'. //maybe the cost is more than the subsidies.

argument 2 -- not OK. Here goes the argument: 'Since millet is already a staple food in Tagus, people will readily adopt the new variety.'. //Maybe people don't like the taste.

argument 3 -- not ok. Here goes the argument: 'To combat vitamin A deficiency, the government of Tagus should do everything it can to promote this new type of millet.'. //Maybe there are better alternatives for this new type of millet.
----------------