Traffic here in Waymarsh is becoming a problem Although just three years ago a state traffic survey showed that the typical driving commuter took 20 minutes to get to work the commute now takes closer to 40 minutes according to the survey just completed M

"Traffic here in Waymarsh is becoming a problem. Although just three years ago a state traffic survey showed that the typical driving commuter took 20 minutes to get to work, the commute now takes closer to 40 minutes, according to the survey just completed. Members of the town council already have suggested more road building to address the problem, but as well as being expensive, the new construction will surely disrupt some of our residential neighborhoods. It would be better to follow the example of the nearby city of Garville. Last year Garville implemented a policy that rewards people who share rides to work, giving them coupons for free gas. Pollution levels in Garville have dropped since the policy was implemented, and people from Garville tell me that commuting times have fallen considerably. There is no reason why a policy like Garville's shouldn't work equally well in Waymarsh."

Letter to the editor of the Waymarsh Times suggests that traffic in Waymarsh can be curbed by implementing a policy to reward people who share rides to work. Letter asserts that another city Garville implemented such schemes – as it gave coupons for free gas to the people sharing rides – and the pollution and commuting time have significantly decreased since the implementation of the policy. However, before the argument can be properly evaluated three pieces of evidence should be analysed.

To begin with, evidence is required to check whether Wayshire and Garville are comparable in every respect. Letter makes an assumption that a policy that worked in Garville will work in Wayshire as well but further evidence might tell a different case. Perhaps, Garville might be a town where most of the offices are at one place and this is making it comfortable for people to share rides, but offices in Wayshire might be spread in entire city and thus it might not be feasible to implement such policies in wayshire as people have to go to different areas for work. If the above evidence comes true than the claim made in the letter would be significantly weakened.

Secondly, answer is required for the cause of increase in commute time in Wayshire as it is not clear whether the commute time increased because of the traffic or some other issue. It might be the case that government build new offices and technology hubs under a city planning and development and because of this major offices and factories were shifted far away from the city and thus causing the increase in commute time. If such is the case then the argument made in the letter doesn’t hold water.

Thirdly, report is required to ensure whether people would be willing to share rides with strangers. It is not clear whether the giving coupons and gifts, that worked in other city, would also lure people of other city. Perhaps, the people of Wayshire enjoy driving their own vehicle to work and its highly unlikely that they will compromise their leisure time for some gas coupons. If such is the case then argument made by the letter that such scheme would work is significantly weakened.

In conclusion, the argument as it stands now, is significantly flawed due to its reliance on several unstated assumptions. If the evidence stated above are provided and perhaps a systematic study is conducted to evaluate them, position of argument can be properly assessed.