Claim: Colleges and universities should specify all required courses and eliminate elective courses in order to provide clear guidance for students.
Reason: College students—like people in general—prefer to follow directions rather than make their own decisions.
The claim that Colleges and Universities' students should follow a clear guidance and they don't need any elective course is a huge mistake; one will hurt both College students and Universities. In the following paragraphs, I will delve into the most significant reasons why I hold this point of view.
First of all, the claims reason that College students prefer following directions rather than make their own decisions is not necessary true; there are many students, especially the perspective students, that they enjoy variety of study fields and they prefer making their own decision for their future's success. University and Colleges are places for helping students to find their own way of success and following their own dreams not impeding students' progress and goals.
As another primary reason, Colleges and Universities are not places for preparing the students for only the academic world; these institutes are microcosms of our society and they should teach students to solve their own problems because in the real world there is no clear guidance for solving their problems. Moreover, the students will hurt emotionally when they can't decide for their study plans and make their own future. Therefore, specifying all required courses and eliminating elective courses would impair students' social behavior and sense of independence.
In addition to students, Colleges will hurt by eliminating elective courses, in the sense that most of significant projects of these institutes are based on correlations between wide varieties of study fields. Thus, students should know some necessary subjects from outside of their own field to cooperate with other group members. For example, a University project about making an airplane incorporates knowledge and experiences from different study fields such as Computer Science, Mechanic, Electronic, and so on; so, the students need to know basic knowledge of other study fields to advance the project significantly. Hence, Universities and Colleges can't do their projects with confining students to take just their own major required courses.
In conclusion, according to all aforementioned reasons, I strongly believe that Colleges and Universities shouldn't eliminate elective courses and provide a clear guidance for students; it will impair both students and theses institutes' progress.
- Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increasingly more time to covering national news and less time to covering weather and local news. During the same time period, most of the complaints we received from viewers were concerned with 60
- A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college 77
- Claim: Colleges and universities should specify all required courses and eliminate elective courses in order to provide clear guidance for students. Reason: College students—like people in general—prefer to follow directions rather than make their own dec 60
- Governments should focus on solving the immediate problems of today rather than on trying to solve the anticipated problems of the future. 80
- "Advertising with Cable Communications Corp. is a great way to increase your profits. Recently the Adams Car Dealership began advertising with Cable Communications and over the last 30 days, sales are up 15% over the previous month. Let us increase your 80
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 3.5 out of 6
Category: Satisfactory Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 3 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 2 2
No. of Sentences: 12 15
No. of Words: 360 350
No. of Characters: 1951 1500
No. of Different Words: 177 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.356 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.419 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.722 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 153 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 125 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 95 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 45 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 30 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 11.438 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.667 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.431 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.665 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.11 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5