Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated.Write a response in which you discuss the

Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.

Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.

It is popularly believed that government ought to financially support its major cities because those megalopolises generate and preserve national traditions. Although I agree that state should guarantee the well-being of its major cities, I disagree with the reason of it owing to the fact that as far as I am concerned nation's culture is not created or preserved in those metropolises.

To begin with, it is obvious that government ought to guarantee well-being of its great cities. In fact, state has many reasons to do so, in particular, because those cities concentrate a great number of workforce and businesses which generate wealth and money. In other words, such huge metropolises as Moscow, London, Los Angeles give a great amount of money via taxes to their government's budgets. Moreover, those great cities attract investments and international businesses as well.

However, the author's belief that culture is generated or preserved in megalopolises is inaccurate because although culture is created in the cities, this culture loses its national color, it becomes universal. To illustrate an idea we may visit Paris, Moscow and Berlin. And we inevitably will hear English language, see the same brands, commercials, in fact, you can buy a similar burger in Kyoto, Los Angeles and Oslo. In other words, this new cosmopolitan culture has almost no national characteristics at all. Furthermore, someone may aver that culture is preserved in those megalopolises but this viewpoint is highly questionable as well because many people who adhere to distinct confessions and belong to different cultures, and come from different regions have to work together in offices and mills. As a result, they all have to abandon their old-century traditions and learn a new culture which possesses no explicit national characteristic. Consequently, the question appears in our minds: where the nation' traditions and mores are preserved and generated?

The answer is "small towns and rural areas". In fact, national color and spirit is well preserved in removed areas which are not exposed to outsider's impact. For example, if you want to learn more about Russian Federation you ought to go to Siberia when you can find people who adhere to traditional rituals and ceremonies, in fact, some rural villages are inhabited by people who stick to a branch of Christianity which were banned in the 1500s by tsar Ivan fourth. Moreover, new national culture is generated in those towns and villages as well. People who have to adapt to new conditions absorb those changes and add to it national characteristics. For example, a Russian national cuisine has been altered for modern equipment and products, at the same time, it still preserves national spirit. Consequently, government ought to invest money in villages and small towns in order to guarantee preservation and generation national traditions.

From what has been discussed above, we may conclude that although major cities ought to be supported financially, they do not generate or preserve nation's culture. In fact, if we want to guarantee the preservation and creation of culture with national spirit, we need to support rural areas and small towns.

ought to go to Siberia when you can find people
ought to go to Siberia where you can find people

-------------
arguments: OK
-------------

-----------------------