Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated.

Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.
Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated.

The statement attempts to link the culture traditions in the major cities to the necessity of financial support. While it is true that major cities generally hold more cultural traditions, and funding them are usually necessary for them to thrive, it is not wise to donate money to major cities in some cases.

Unarguably, most cultural traditions are preserved in major cities of a country. Though many critics might argue that many social customs originated from small villages, such as the dressing and nomadic lifestyle of the aboriginal ethnic groups. We cannot deny the fact that it is the major city that preserves and extend the cultural traditions. Consider how the art school located in cities has helped preserve traditions. The paintings and drama play are vivid reflection of history, showing people of their ancestors and traditions of their nation.

It is usually necessary for government to donate money to major cities in order to preserve and expand the nation's cultural traditions and allow the cities to flourish. Especially in cities famous for art. The 15th century Florence is an apt illustration of how government funding can promote the development of major cities. The city of Florence was supported by the wealthy Medici family who was also patron for art and architecture. The famous Lorenzo de Medici devoted large fortune to build gardens, palace, artistic institutions, and supported many talented artists such as Leonardo de Vinci and Michelangelo. Such financial support was the economic foundation of Italian Renaissance and guaranteed the thriving of Florence.

However, if the major cities are very developed compared other places, the financial support will be a bad decision as it creates stratification. Financial support can expedite the development of major cities, but it also increase the diversity between major cities and small cities and villages, making people unsatisfied due to inequality. How many times have we heard people went on strikes to protest against the government when the divergence between cities is extreme? How many times have we heard people in poor state joined rebellion against the monarch who devoted finance only to the capital cities? The number one concern for government is to maintain balance in the cities' economic development, rather than allow few major cities to thrive and others remain in penury.

In conclusion, A nation's cultural traditions are mainly stored in its major cities and government should donate money to promote major cities which are famous for arts, but at the same time, maintains economic balance between places by not funding major cities wealthier than others.