Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the

Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

As the world is more and more globalized, understanding different cultures and acquiring second or third languages have become beneficial, so many students are looking for chances to study abroad. Despite its merits, colleges and universities cannot require their students to study abroad for the following reasons.
Firstly, studying in a foreign country costs a lot and some students cannot afford it. Living in a foreign country has many things to consider regarding cost otherwise they do not need to pay. For example, when students keep studying in their own countries, they might not spend money on housing as they live with their parents. However, if they study in a foreign country, they will need to pay for it and other related costs – buying toilet paper, cups, blankets, and any other essential things in a house. Also, if they get sick during studying abroad, they might pay a lot of money as some of them might not be covered with their student or travel insurance. Even if colleges or universities provide scholarships for those who need financial support, covering all the students in need is unsound and the amount will not be enough. Thus, considering there might be students who cannot afford the cost of studying abroad, the given prompt cannot be agreed upon.
Secondly, there are students whose fields are unrelated to studying abroad. Many students expect that they might grab chances to learn new languages and adapt to new cultures. For those who study linguistics, economics, social science, or politics, it would be helpful in various aspects. In contrast, for engineering, natural science, or medicine, the experience might be helpful in some ways, but its merits do not seem big enough. For them, studying at their own university can be more helpful by continuing their field of study and participate in research activities. As studying abroad is not considerably beneficial to every student, colleges or universities cannot require their students to do it.
Studying abroad has special benefits as providing students opportunities to learn languages and different cultures in everyday life. However, there might be students who cannot afford the cost and the significant benefits of studying abroad are not for everyone. Thus, the given prompt cannot be agreed upon.