Home >> .

If two applicants for a job are otherwise equally qualified, the job should go to the applicant with more experience

mollie's picture

It is quite interesting to suspect a recruiter’s focus or preference on the interviewer’s ability. Some view highly on the interviewer’s education background, others consider experience as the crucial element to evaluate the applicants’ potential. Undoubtedly, experience on a large portion do represent an applicant’s capability and the potential to take on challenging jobs. However, this is not always true. An applicant with relatively more experience does not always perform better than a person with less experience. Moreover, there are other abilities that should be taken into consideration in terms of recruiting.
To start with, the employer should already designate the measure of a certain position. Whether a minimum length of working experience is required for the job. If the position is a cook or driver, of course, an experienced cook would be more skillful than a fresh-hand. Since the longer time a person sits in this position, usually the more skillful he will become. However, if the employer is looking for a waitress, then probably a girl with 5 years’ experience will not have much advantage over a young pretty girl with only 5 months’ experience. Since what matters in a waitress’ performance is how she would cater her customer. I would say a fresh face with amiable smile and soft voice would complete over an old waitress in this area. So, to determine whether a person could perform well in a position, the length of his or her experience could not simply say everything. But the category of the job would count tremendously.
In addition, a recruiter should consider the applicants’ ability in a well-rounded manner. Experience is only one component to assess his ability, albeit many other abilities cannot be ignored. Motivation, long-term career plan, creativity, personal characteristics etc. also compose the different aspects that recruiters should take into account. If the employer makes a decision only considering applicants with more experience without figuring out his passion or his long-term career plan, there might be high risk that this applicant would not stay long in his position. Such is considered a waste of recourse for the company.
Finally, we do recognize individuals with more experience generally. What’s more important is to evaluate what exact experience have they encountered. Are these experiences valuable to the position on recruit currently? Do they have any relevance or does his previous experience help to prove his potential in a good performance in this position? Seems not all applicants with more experience fall into these criteria. Let us say a company need an assistance in customer service department, whereas one of the applicant used to be a warehouse keeper with 5 years’ experience and another being the secretary of CEO for only 3 years. Would a wise employer ignore the potential in a secretary and choose a warehouse-keeper without any background in and out offices and business?
In summary, to hire an appropriate candidate for a job, an employer must consider aspects mentioned above and evaluate the individual in a well-rounded manner. Applicants with more experience do attract our eyes, while in choosing a suitable person for a certain vacancy, one must carefully examine his experiences and how his experiences match with the vacancy.