The graphs below show the enrolments of overseas students and local students in Australian universities over a ten year period

The graphs below show the enrolments of overseas students and local students in Australian universities over a ten year period.

The line graph illustrates the number of students from abroad and native students who enrolled in universities in Australia between 2001 and 2010.

Overall, there was an increase in the numbers of overseas and local students in Australian universities over the period given. The majority of enrolled students consisted of Australian scholars.

With regard to local students, there were 20000 scholars studying in Australian unversities in 2001. The number continually increased each year by about 650 students and reached its peak at more than 80000 newly accepted students in 2010.

On the other hand, the number of international students who started their studies in Australia in the first year was approximately half the number of local students (just over 10000). It grew slightly each year, finally reaching 20000 overseas students in 5 year period. Over the next years the number gradually rose, doubling in the final two years and hitting a high of 40000 international students.