Today the high sales of popular goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real need of the society in which they are sold To what extent do you agree or disagree

Today, the high sales of popular goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real need of the society in which they are sold. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Nowadays it is believed that a large number of sales of popular consumer goods is due to the power of advertising and not due to the requirements of the society in which they are sold. In my opinion, I totally agree with such a statement.

Firstly, advertising is a key contributor for the sale of a product. More appealing the advertisement more is the popularity of the consumer good and thereby more is the sale of a consumer good. Moreover, most of the companies advertise their products through famous actor/actress which urges people to buy that product due to people’s predilection towards the actor/actress. For instance, Indians buy “fair and lovely – a skin whitening cream”, this cream is advertised by Mr. Shahrukh Khan – a famous Bollywood actor. Companies advertise it as “if you use this cream you will have a glowing and clear skin like Mr. Shahrukh Khan himself”. Consequently, people buy this cream because they have liking towards the actor.

Secondly, even if a consumer good is not required by the people, they buy it due to efficient advertising and marketing by the companies of the product. For example, one buys the “fair and lovely cream because of a famous actor promulgates the effect of the cream. Moreover, if one has a clear and glowing skin and thereby does not require an extra cream for his skin. He is still cajoled into buying the cream by effective advertising and popularity of the product. Furthermore, there might be fad of a product – that everyone should have one in their houses. Hence people are compelled to buy that product because everyone has that product.

In conclusion, high sales of a consumer goods is directly proportional to efficient advertising and popularity of the product.