Essay topics: Nowadays, there is a trend that reports of media focus on problems and emergencies rather than positive development some people think it is harmful to individuals and to society. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Reports of media are increasingly showing daily problems and emergencies rather than the positive ones. Some people say that this development could have an adverse effect on individuals and society. However, I completely disagree with this and believe that its benefits are more significant.
As social media has been developed, people have more access to daily news and information, especially ones related to crime or emergencies, and this could raise people’s awareness. By watching criminal reports, people could be more conscious of different types of crime that they might encounter in certain circumstances. For example, pickpockets are often common in crowded areas such as supermarkets and street markets, and it is of vital importance to watch out accessories or wallets when people are shopping. Therefore, reports related in minor crimes just like that help people become well-prepared and reduce the risk of dangers.
Apart from the benefit expressed above, a focus on bad news and emergencies also benefits the whole society. First, reports of fatal accidents perhaps would make people terrified but at the same time, they may realize the bad consequence of fast driving. As a result, that type of report facilitates road safety as people gradually obey the driving rules. Second, problems and emergencies posted by reporters also help governments recognize its harmful impacts and thus implement proper solutions to prevent them from happening in the first place. Therefore, people would enjoy a safe environment to live and they are spared criminal commitment and other kinds of problem.
In conclusion, the benefits of showing bad news and emergencies have been proved to have several impacts on people's lives and society. In the long run, this development could contribute to better awareness among people and a safer environment for people to live.
- Fossil fuels are the main source of energy around the world. However, people are being encouraged to use alternative energy sources such as wind energy, solar energy and so on. Do you think this is a positive or negative development? (67)
- Shops in the countryside are fewer and fewer, so people tend to go to stores in the towns and cities, and then lead to their inconvenient life. Car use also causes pollution. Is this phenomenon more harmful than the end? (73)
- Nowadays, animal experiments are widely used to develop new medicines and to test the safety of other products. Some people argue that these experiments should be banned because it is morally wrong to cause animals to suffer, while others are in favour of (56)
- In many parts of the world girls and boys are educated together in co-educational or mixed schools. Some people think that girls and boys benefit from being educated separately in single-sex schools. To what extent do you agree with this view? (73)
- Immigration has a major impact on society. What are the main reasons for immigration? To what consequences can it lead? (78)
- The availability of entertainment such as video games on handheld devices is harmful to individuals and to the society they live in. To what extent you agree or disagree? (84)
- In some countries, the difference in age between parents and children is generally greater than it was in the past. Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages? (73)
- Some people think that cars should be banned in big city centres. Do you agree or disagree? (67)
- Some people say the government should spend money on providing faster public transport while others believe the government should give priority to other factors such as cost and the effect on the environment. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? (78)
- Some people today believe that the world's population is unsustainable and will eventually lead to a global crisis. Other people believe that the world population increase is necessary and beneficial as it creates the growth of the world's econo (73)