Essay topics: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
It is more important for students to understand ideas and concepts than it is for them to learn facts.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
The knowledge that we acquire from our professors have a very important role in our lives. It is what we will use during our life and the correct method to learn them is crucial for our success. Some people would believe that learning facts is mandatory; other would disagree. In my view, it is more important for students to understand ideas and concepts for two important reasons.
The reason is that when we understand something it will be more difficult to forget. In order to create a strong memory we need to deeply understand a subject. If we just read about a random fact, we will be much more susceptible to forget something because we will activate only our short-time memory. For example, last year, when I was in college, I had a very difficult exam about aerodynamics. It was a very mathematical subject with a lot of different formulas. In addition, my professor indicated a list with exercises to practice and half of the exam's question will come from this list. In that way, me and friends studied very hard the practice problems and we memorized every single formula and solution. So, the exam arrived and almost everybody received a very good grade. On the next semester, I enrolled a computational course that required strong aerodynamics knowledge and I expected it would be easy due to my high grade on the required course. Conversely, I realized that I forgot the whole theory because I just memorized the formulas and I can not use them in real applications because I did not really understand their use. This event clearly demonstrated that learn ideas and concepts is very important.
Another reasons is that ideas and concepts will be more useful for our lives rather than facts. There is a famous quote that says: "You can learn with your errors" and it is very true. If we make the same mistakes over and over we will never learn how to solve them, because they will be just facts. When we understand the concept behind them, we will know how to avoid them and we will aprimorate our lives. For instance, I remember when I was a member of a robotic team in college. Every year we participated in a competition to use robots for play soccer. On day, we made a research about our last ten participation and we discovered that we made almost the same mistakes year after year, such as, every time the battery from the robots started to fail during the match. But this problem passed without notice because the team changed almost all members every year and we just hear histories about what had happened. So, on the next competition, we changed all the batteries and we won the second place, it was the best ranking in all the team's history. This experience taught me that facts are useless if they are not truly understood.
In sum, though some may believe that facts are very important, I believe that the understanding is crucial. Not only we will create long lasting memories but also we could use or knowledge in our favor. Everyone should work to understand more ideas and concepts when a fact is presented and see all the benefits that this act could have.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|2 weeks 1 day ago||Sepehram||73||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 1 day ago||Sepehram||78||Read full essay|
|3 weeks 6 days ago||aaaaaaaaaa||78||Read full essay|
|3 weeks 6 days ago||Chuppy||70||Read full essay|
|3 months 5 days ago||lauren1983||68||Read full essay|
|3 months 1 week ago||rena1071||76||Read full essay|
|4 months 1 week ago||valealej||85||Read full essay|
|5 months 1 week ago||Swaggy||70||Read full essay|
|5 months 2 weeks ago||Mehralian||73||Read full essay|
|6 months 1 week ago||Ahmed Riyadh||60||Read full essay|
- Jane Austen (1775–1817) is one of the most famous of all English novelists, and today her novels are more popular than ever, with several recently adapted as Hollywood movies. But we do not have many records of what she looked like. For a long time, the (3)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?It is better to have broad knowledge of many academic subjects than to specialize in one specific subject.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (73)
- Some people say that the Internet provides people with a lot of valuable information. Others think access to much information creates problems. Which view do you agree with?Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (73)
- A recent study reveals that people, especially young people, are reading far less literature—novels, plays, and poems—than they used to. This is troubling because the trend has unfortunate effects for the reading public, for culture in general, and fo (76)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?In order to be well-informed, a person must get information from many different news sources.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (73)
- Many consumers ignore commercial advertisements. In response, advertising companies have started using a new tactic, called “buzzing.” The advertisers hire people—buzzers—who personally promote (buzz) products to people they know or meet. The key (73)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?Television advertising directed towards young children (aged two to five) should not be allowed.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (70)
- Toward the end of his life, the Chevalier de Seingalt (1725−1798) wrote a long memoir recounting his life and adventures. The Chevalier was a somewhat controversial figure, but since he met many famous people, including kings and writers, his memoir has (80)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?It is more important for students to understand ideas and concepts than it is for them to learn facts.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (73)
- In an effort to encourage ecologically sustainable forestry practices, an international organization started issuing certifications to wood companies that meet high ecological standards by conserving resources and recycling materials. Companies that recei (80)