Some charitable organizations allow people who give money to charity to choose how their donation will be used If you were give money to charity would you prefer to choose how your donation is going to be used or do you think it is more effective to leave

Some charitable organizations allow people who give money to charity to choose how their donation will be used. If you were give money to charity, would you prefer to choose how your donation is going to be used or do you think it is more effective to leave that decision to the organization? Why?

Nowadays, even in the most developed countries, there are still a large number of people who do not enjoy the basic needs of life due to various problems – including poverty, chronic diseases, and disabilities. Several individuals intend to help the disadvantaged by giving charity to them. There are quite a few organizations, established to meet the needs of the deprived, where benefactors make donations in order to help them. Some patrons would rather choose how their charity should be spent by these charities, but others would rather let the institutions make this decision. Were I to donate, I would subscribe to the first idea – decide about how to spend my donation – for several reasons.

To begin with, the inclination that people have to achieve their objectives is undeniable. In my opinion, deciding to give charity to a specific group of deprived is similar to setting goals for ourselves and can act as a stimulation for motivating us to not only contribute more but also continue making donations regularly. Additionally, in this way, people are seemed to be more involved in their donations, as they tend to try to find out whether their charity has been helpful or not, and even they usually feel far more sympathy for those who need their help. On the other hand, the contributors, who do not make decisions about how their donations should be spent, may become less enthusiastic over time about donating since they often do not have any ideas about what happens to their donations, and they will not realize the positive effects of their support on the disadvantaged who received it.

Moreover, true, organizations have a great amount of information about the disadvantaged as well as their needs, but I believe that they sometimes focus more on some particular groups of the poor, and there are usually a few groups of disadvantaged who do not get as much attention as the others. This is why, benefactors should choose how their donations are going to be used so that they can put an end to biased charity, and thus all deprived individuals receive appropriate assists. To take one example, in my country, some charities do not expend much money to provide more facilities for blind people. In other words, they are not a priority for such organizations. Therefore, if I were to donate money, I would ask the organization to spend my donation for the benefit of unsighted individuals.

In conclusion, I agree with the idea that when a person gives money to charities, he or she should opt how their money is going to be used. By doing so, they make sure that their money is spent effectively, plus they maintain a tendency for donating. That people decide about their donations may encourage them to become more familiar with the lives of the disadvantaged and the difficulties that they withstand in their everyday lives.