TPO 1

TPO 1

The reading passage and the listening section are both discussing that the providing employees the selection of working four-day workweek. The reading proposes some compelling reasons to suggest the benefit of the four-day workweek. However, the speaker casts doubt on it and delves into reasons and examples to refute it.

First of all, the article mentions that working a four-day workweek reduces the cost and increases the profit for the employer. Nonetheless, the speaker disagrees with this statement. A four-day workweek causes company to purchase more computer and require extra space. Moreover, the medical cost is the same whether the employees work five days or four days a week. Therefore, the employer forces to spend more money due to the four-day workweek policy.

Secondly, the speaker opposes the idea that the four-day workweek would reduce unemployment rates. Applying a four-day workweek means the employer requires to hire more employees to undertake the five-day workweek workloads. As a result, the employer may expect the four-day workweek workers to do the same workload as the five-day employees do.

Last but not least, the article indicates that the employees, who work for four days a week, are able to have more leisure time to improve their quality of lives. Nevertheless, the speaker disapproves of this idea. The employees, who work a four days workweek, lowers their opportunity to promote because manager tends to promote the employees who work for five days a week.