TPO 11 Integrated a decline in reading the literature

The author presents the views that the sharp decline in literature readers has negative impacts on the culture in general and the future of literature in particular. The lecturer, on the other hand, offers each of the writer's arguments with an alternate explanation.

First, in the reading passage the writer indicates that people are missing out on important benefits such as the intellectual stimulation novels and plays provide when they stop reading literature. The speaker rebuts this argument when she says beside literature, other genres such as science, history and political can offer intellectual simulation as well. Moreover, such books are often creative and well-written, unlike what the author claims them to be.

Second, while the writer believes people are lowering the standards of culture by tuning to other forms of entertainment instead of sitting down with a challenging novel, the lecturer doesn't feel the same. She disagrees with the idea that non-literature forms, such as music and movies, equal low-quality of culture. In fact, nowadays culture has changed and many other forms of art seem to express people's concerns more directly than literature can do.

Third, the reading passage highlights the lack of support for today's writers and blames it on the public's low standards of culture. In contrast, the professor expresses that the blame should be partly directed to the authors themselves. This is because today's writers often intentionally make it difficult to understand their works, to the point that not even people from the past would have interest in reading them.