TPO 28

TPO 28

The article states that Robert E. Peary was a famous man who arrived in the North Pole First. Although there are some doubts about his reaching to the North Pole, the authors provides three evidence to prove that he really reached this area. However, the professor explains that the reasons mentioned in the reading are not convincible and there are no solid evidence to prove Peary's claim about travelling to the North Pole, and refutes each of the author's reasons.
First of all, the reading claims that the National Geographic committee, which contains some experts, finally asserted that Peary went to the North Pole by considering Peary's records. The professor refutes this opinion by saying that this committee and their approval is not objective because many of this committee's members were Peary's close friends and they did not examine his records carefully.
Secondly, the article posits that although many scientists doubted about his claim about moving from Ellesmere Island to the North Pole in only 3 days, after a while Tom Avery, a British explorer declined these doubts by reaching the North Pole in less than 37 days by the same way and same vehicle. However, the professor says that although Avery used the same vehicle as Pray, his travelling conditions were different from Peary's. Avery carried less weight with him and his food demands were delivered by plane. Also, Avery was in favorable weather conditions, though Peary travelled in bad weather situation.
Third, the reading says that the photographs taken by Peary prove that he reached the North Pole due to measuring the shadows in Peary’s photographs. The professor opposes this point by explaining that as Peary used a primitive camera, the pictures are not clear enough to make a precise measurement at that time. But, nowadays, historians made a precise measurement and concluded that this shadows cannot prove his claim that he was in the North Pole while he took these photographs.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.