tpo 32 the quackers sound

The reading and the lecturer introduce the topic about a weird sound, called the quakers, which Russian submarine sailors started hearing in the 1960s and 1980s. The text brings 3 possible theories about what could have caused that strange sound. In the listening passage, however, the lecturer disagrees with each theory and explains her opinion with base.

First, the author begins his first theory by saying these sounds must have been noises of orca whales as a result of a courtship ritual. These marine animals are known for this kind of noise because the females use them to call the attention of the males. The speaker states this theory could have been possible at first since the information about the noise is true, but it's contradictory at the same time. The orca whales live or spend most of the time near the surface of the ocean, a place where the submarines are not present for obvious reasons.

Secondly, the text also explains these noises might have been emitted by giant squid. Animals whose bodies don't count with skeletons. Specialists have done studies about this species and have the conclusion that thanks to its brain, it's a big possibility they could have emitted these sounds. The speaker claims there are flaws in this information, since the sounds were listened to in the 1960s and then in the 1980s, a 20 years gap between those years. Giant squids were always there, and there's no reason why these animals could have disappeared for that period of time.

The last theory in the reading shows the possibility there were other submarines from other countries who were working in silence and must have emitted those strange sounds. Furthermore, the speaker argues it couldn't have been possible since submarines do emit sounds, even today, the submarines are not that fast and silent.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.