TPO 41

TPO 41

In the lecture, the professor explains why the United States government should create stricter regulations for handling and storing coal ash. However, this opposes the reading, which states that the representatives of power companies argue that new regulations are unnecessary and might have negative impacts.

First, the lecturer asserts that the regulations now are not sufficient. In fact, companies are required to use liner only when opening a new line, while old ones are not required to add any liner. As a result, leakage from the old pipe could happen and contaminate the water in that area. This refutes the article, which states that regulations already exist as companies that dispose of coal ash in disposal ponds or landfills must use liner in every new pond or landfill they build.

Second, not necessary that stricter laws would discourage people from recycling coal ash. Taking the recycling of other harmful material into consideration, Mercury, for example. Although it is harmful by itself, people until now use the safe products that are produced by its recycling. The text, on the other hand, challenges this point by claiming that consumers may become concerned that recycled coal ash products are dangerous, and may stop buying them.

Finally, although the cost of disposal and handling would increase, it worth this increase and people would welcome this slight increase in the electricity price as they would have a healthier, and cleaner environment. This disputes the reading, which states that the general public would not welcome the increase in the electricity price.