TPO 50 Integrated

TPO 50- Integrated

The passage and the lecture are both about the problems of traveling to Mars. The author presents three theories to support that a Mars mission is impossible. On the other hand, the lecturer claims that this mission is challenging but the scientists have solutions for each problem mentioned in the passage.

In the passage, the writer begins by stating that the Mars trip takes too long compared to the Moon mission and the astronauts cannot carry many resources. The professor, however, asserts that they can use the hydroponics method and cultivate plants in water instead of soil. In this way, the plants need less space and astronauts are able to use these plants as food, recycle the wastewater, and use the fresh air produced by these plants.

The author also claims that the zero-gravity condition on Mars will harm the astronauts' health. Conversely, the lecturer argues this viewpoint, mentioning that astronauts are working in several space stations now and use some techniques to manage the zero-gravity condition. So they can handle this situation in their future missions too.

Finally, the writer points out that constructing a shield that protects the spacecraft and astronauts entirely from harmful sun radiation is not possible due to its heavyweight. In contrast, the lecturer states that this radiation is not dangerous all the time. They can provide a shielded space in the spacecraft and utilize some instruments to monitor the sun's radiation. In this way, the weight of the spaceship will not affect so much and the astronauts can use this space when the radiation is at a high level of danger and protect themself.