TPO21

TPO21

The reading asserts that there are several benefits in creating genetically modified
trees, trees that their genes have been changed through genetic modifications, and explain the benefits of growing these kinds of trees. The lecturer, however, finds the idea dubious and casts doubts on the reasons proposed by the reading passage.
The author argues that one benefit is that these kinds of trees are hardier than nature trees, so they are more likely to survive compared to non-modified trees. For instance, in Hawaii, a new (kind) type of tree (have) has been developed that is resistant to ring sport virus infection. Conversely, the lecturer brings up the idea that non-modified trees are genetically diverse(d), So in different harsh conditions, there are always some trees which are not damaged becuase of this diversity. On the other hand, modified trees genetically are more uniform, so in the situation in which these trees cannot withstand it, all of them will die.
Furthermore, the reading passage holds the view that these types of trees will bring some economic benefits to agricultures who grow them because they tend to grow faster, and give a greater amount of food, fruit, etc. Therefore, these characteristics will help farmers to earn more money. On the contrary, the professor underlies the fact that there are some hidden costs in growing these trees because farmers should pay more to buy these seeds compared to when they want to grow non-modified trees and every time they want to grow these trees they should pay for seeds.
Finally, the reading asserts that using (of) the genetically modified trees will prevent extra exploitation of wild trees because these trees grow faster and provide more woods than non-modified trees. So, it will not be necessary to cut non-modified trees because oof growing demands for firewood and building timber. In contrast, the speakers dismiss this issue due to the fact that these types of trees are dangerous because they grow more aggressively. Consequently, they will compete for resources with non-modified trees, and non-modified trees will be perished because of this competition.