The following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal."A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimul

The following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal.
"A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situations (such as an encounter with an unfamiliar monkey), firstborn infant monkeys produce up to twice as much of the hormone cortisol, which primes the body for increased activity levels, as do their younger siblings. Firstborn humans also produce relatively high levels of cortisol in stimulating situations (such as the return of a parent after an absence). The study also found that during pregnancy, first-time mother monkeys had higher levels of cortisol than did those who had had several offspring."

Author presented his/her scientific studies about the production of hormone cortisol among the first-born child and his/her younger siblings. For supporting the claim made by author, various evidences were recorded during study. Author claimed that firstborn infant produce up to twice as much of the hormone cortisol, which primes the body for increased activity levels, as do their younger siblings and stated that similar trends is seen in humans and study also found that during pregnancy, first-time mother monkeys had higher levels of cortisol than did those who had had several offspring. The study presented by authors seems to be specious and holds little credence.

First of all, the study was carried by studying only eighteen rhesus monkeys. Author cannot attribute the monkey’s characteristics by just observing the pattern in eighteen rhesus monkeys. It might be the case that monkey’s production level of cortisol depends on the environment and those eighteen monkeys are indigenous to same place and that is the reason that they are exhibiting same characteristics, it might happen that other monkeys have aberrant characteristics. Thus, by just observing eighteen monkeys, author cannot generalize these levels of simulation phenomenon for all monkeys.

Secondly, Author failed to offer more evidence that first born infant produce up to twice much of the hormone cortisol as do their younger siblings. It might be the case that those infant that were studied only show such behavior and the trend is reverse. Author should give more clarification about such pattern has been observed. Also Author has not provided information that because of cortisol hormone no other reason they are exhibiting levels of activity. It might be the case that due to high production level of other hormone resulting in such increased activity.

Thirdly, Author has wrongly deemed that human and monkeys are same, it might be the case that human show reverse trend or even doesn’t not have any such pattern. Thus, Author need to stipulate more information about humans levels of simulation and its effects on birth order.

Lastly, Author also mentioned that level of cortisol in first-time mother monkeys were found to be more than those in other several offspring, so this might be the reason for firstborn infant producing twice as much of hormone cortisol than do their siblings. In my opinion, Author have overlooked that mother having higher level of cortisol might not be the reason resulting in higher level of cortisol in her child, it might be some other factor attributing such high level of cortisol hormone in firstborn child.

In conclusion, for persuading me, Author need to affirm that those eighteen monkeys studied attributes to all monkeys and in general all monkeys would show same pattern. Author need to also provide more evidence about the reason for firstborn child producing more cortisol hormone is because in pregnancy, Mother bearing child for first time have higher level of cortisol hormone and this production reduces with the offspring. Author need to also provide more information about human will exhibit same pattern as monkeys do in production of cortisol hormone.

samples:
https://www.testbig.com/story/gre-argument-essay-topic-2-outline

----------------------------