Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student s field of study

By taking a variety of courses outside their major, students can expect many positive outcomes. For examples, students may be able to gain a boarder world view, better communication skills with other fields, and an ability to create something new by combining knowledges from different fields. Therefore, it is understandable to support a policy to encourage students to participate in courses of other majors. However, it is totally different problem to require students to take a variety of courses without exception.

First of all, it is not efficient for all students to take courses irrelevant with their majors since for some students diverse experiences do not help to increase their ability. In the case of business major, communication skill is one of the most important virtue, so that the experiences to participate in many courses from other fields may be helpful enough. However, in the case of other majors, such as computer science, they need more specialized skills in handling their projects. It is not necessary to take, for example, philosophy courses for them to be a better technician.

Furthermore, some fields of study demand more time to be disciplined enough. To require all students to take a variety of courses may be excessively challenging for some students. For example, in the field of arts, such as painting and music, they are asked to practice a huge amount of time to increase their abilities. The mandatory policy to take irrelevant courses can be a derivation of their time to be an expert.

Lastly, there are other options rather than requiring all students to take a variety of courses without exception. University can let students choose. It is better suited to the needs of students to leave them to their choices. For example, students who plan to communicate with various fields in the future can take various classes. However, students who want to work in more professional areas will focus more on their major.

To sum up, it is not appropriate to force it, even if opportunities to take a variety of courses can be helpful for some students.