Essay topics: Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.
Educational institutions are supposed to be a place where students feel free to express themselves. Teachers must motivate students instead of cutting down their dreams. The prompt states that educational institutions have the responsibility to guide their students into pursuing fields of study of which they consider it to be successful. In my opinion, I mostly disagree with the statement above and the reasons are as follows.
First of all, if the educational institutions are choosing the path that they deem successful for their students, they are automatically taking away the freedom of choice. It is much more important for the schools to teach the young ones how to decide for themselves instead of limiting the possibilities. For instance, private high schools in Brazil are driven by their student approvals at college, going as far as putting the results and the students photos in local billboards for propaganda. But instead of displaying all the students and their achievements, they choose to display only what they consider to be successful approvals, such as medicine, engineering and law school. This is to show that schools tend to brain wash their students into pursuing careers that make them more money, because higher approval rates in “successful” fields of study equals more new students and more parents willing to put their children to study there. Unfortunately, children’s beliefs come second place.
Secondly, there is no international system of units for success. This point of view diverges a lot from our generation to previous generations. Older generations tended to use a one fit mold for life, people would leave their parents houses in order to study or work, they would work hard, get married, have children, work even harder to provide for the family, see their children grow and eventually leave home in order to repeat the cycle once again. Nowadays, people are more aware of their possibilities, knowing that they can reach for different tangents in life that also lead to successful goals. Schools must help students to identify all the different paths to success and give the proper tools for them to walk by their own.
Of course, there are always students that display aptitudes that don’t align with what they want to pursue for a field of study. That is why there are trained counselors that work together with students to help them decide what they want to study. It is important to mention that the counselor does not have the authority to choose the field of study for the student, rather he gathers the student’s strong points to makes a list of suggestions for what the student might enjoy. In contrast to what was suggested in the prompt, the counselor works side by side with the teenager in order to help them with the difficult decision of choosing the path for their success.
In conclusion, I believe that schools have the responsibility to guide the students to make the right decisions. Although they can help students, they can not force them into choosing what they consider the right choice, at the end of the day, only the student has the power to select his or her success.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|1 day 21 hours ago||lanhhoang||16||Read full essay|
|2 days 15 hours ago||AkkineniAnuhya4||50||Read full essay|
|4 days 2 hours ago||vivek2upad||83||Read full essay|
|4 days 2 hours ago||vivek2upad||83||Read full essay|
|4 days 12 hours ago||vivek2upad||58||Read full essay|
|4 days 14 hours ago||maneesha ch||50||Read full essay|
|1 week 6 days ago||jha||66||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 5 days ago||sunpeach||83||Read full essay|
|1 month 15 hours ago||devansh0111||50||Read full essay|
|1 month 6 days ago||zzk81||66||Read full essay|
- The following appeared in a memo from the marketing director of Top Dog Pet Stores. "Five years ago Fish Emporium started advertising in the magazine Exotic Pets Monthly. Their stores saw sales increase by 15 percent after their ads began appearing (68)
- The following appeared in a newsletter offering advice to investors."Over 80 percent of the respondents to a recent survey indicated a desire to reduce their intake of foods containing fats and cholesterol, and today low-fat products abound in many f (38)
- According to a recent report, cheating among college and university students is on the rise. However, Groveton College has successfully reduced student cheating by adopting an honor code, which calls for students to agree not to cheat in their academic en (49)
- The following appeared in an article written by Dr. Karp, an anthropologist."Twenty years ago, Dr. Field, a noted anthropologist, visited the island of Tertia and concluded from his observations that children in Tertia were reared by an entire villag (58)
- Nature's Way, a chain of stores selling health food and other health-related products, is opening its next franchise in the town of Plainsville. The store should prove to be very successful: Nature's Way franchises tend to be most profitable in (56.5)
- Arctic deer live on islands in Canada's arctic regions. They search for food by moving over ice from island to island during the course of the year. Their habitat is limited to areas warm enough to sustain the plants on which they feed and cold enoug (60)
- Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be (58)
- The following appeared in a letter from a homeowner to a friend."Of the two leading real estate firms in our town — Adams Realty and Fitch Realty — Adams Realty is clearly superior. Adams has 40 real estate agents; in contrast, Fitch has 25, many (59)
- Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and suppo (66)
- If a goal is worthy, then any means taken to attain it are justifiable.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting yo (83)