Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and suppo

Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

On an average a student spends three to four years in his under-graduation course and around two to three years in his post-graduation. Then, most students get their first jobs in the field of their study, it's unlikely that they could get a job in any other field. In this way, if a student is unlikely to succeed in his field of study, he will not only waste precious years of his life but also miss opportunities to study in other fields in which he could probably succeeded. This will lead to a very bad workforce in the country.

Also, as education is very costly these days, lot many students take educational loans which they could hardly repay. In India, every year lakhs of students take admission in engineering colleges --most of these students are neither good at mathematics nor at science-- with a hope that they will come out as good engineers. But, in reality only 7 % of these engineers are worth working in technical fields. A lot of those who couldn't succeed as engineers later go to other fields and face huge struggle there as they have to start from very basic in those. This leads to waste of human resource of the country. Talent which could have been used for contribution in other field got wasted in a field which they were unlikely to succeed.

As every institute conduct regular examinations, they have students present marks and also have access to past academic history, hence teachers and faculty of the institute are the first ones to understand whether a student will be able to succeed in a particular field or not. So, it will be apt if educational institute in the country can take responsibility to dissuade students from perusing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.

As a counter argument to this some will say, one who isn't performing good will be discouraged to study his field of interest. We all know about Einstein, who is most renowned in field of science, had been very poor in his academics during his early days of school. He was totally unable to learn any mathematical concept, but later he turned to be the most ingenious person in the field of science and research. Those who are against the argument will definitely feel that if we give responsibility to institutes to decide whether one should take particular subject or not, they will take into account student's performance in that particular subject, not his interest. But, we need to understand that exceptions like Einstein are just a handful, but there are many whose lives are getting spoiled because of wrong decisions.

Hence, to conclude, good education is very important for any country and to make it effective the educational institutes shall take responsibility to guide students towards the right path.