The function of science is to reassure the purpose of art is to upset Therein lies the value of each

The function of science is to reassure; the purpose of art is to upset. Therein lies the value of each.

Science deals with understanding the nature and behavior of our environment and its constituents, with the purpose of utilizing the knowledge in furthering the status of society. Arts on the other hand is related to beauty and appreciation to the mind or eye. The subject at hand is open to interpretation, but the statement is not proper. To say that science is reassuring and arts is upsetting is not true in general but specific to circumstances, time and place.

Science is a very powerful tool that has evolved society today, starting from the belief that the earth was flat to discovering of galaxies in the infinite boundary of space. Also it can be clearly noticed in the field of medicine where the cure to so many diseases have been found that caused havoc to humans at some point in time. This is very reassuring and a significant boon to society. In the fields of telecommunication, transportation, politics etc. Thanks to science there is significant progress as the world is seen as a global village; communication over thousands of kilometers takes place in seconds by the press of a button. Transportation has become very efficient, people travel across the globe with no stress compared to the past. Clearly science in this context is very soothing, however when misused can be very troubling.

Take for example the development of the nuclear bomb that is in the custody of several sovereignties. These catastrophic inventions are also credited to progress in science. A single nuclear bomb has the potential of eradicating towns and cities with the people within it. The bottom line here is clear; knowing that such devices are in existence is very upsetting to the people. Also another raucous attributed to science in abortion, which has caused protests and violence because there are large numbers of people that stand against it. Even in medicine when drugs are misused they have deleterious effects resulting in addicts and an immoral society.

Arts can be discussed in a similar light as science, in fact depending on interpretation, arts and science can have a very thin line distinguishing them. Science and arts are used together in the television media to present news that enlightens the public on happening within a locality. It is difficult to actually differentiate what portion of the television media is arts and what is science, because even though the medium used to transmit the data is closely tied to scientific innovation, it is being used to present movies and documentaries that are arts oriented. Same can be said in fashion industries, garment designs etc. Arts is being expressed by using scientific creations.

In sum it is not fair to conclude that science in beneficial and arts is problematic because they both work hand in hand and to be frank are difficult to disentangle. When used positively, they progress society and pave way for evolution, but when misused would have grave consequences and pose a major threat to the existence of the society.

Thanks to science there is significant progress
Thanks to science there is a significant progress

science in beneficial and arts is problematic
science is beneficial and arts is problematic