Scientists and other researchers should focus their research on areas that are likely to benefit the greatest number of people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoni

Scientists and other researchers should focus their research on areas that are likely to benefit the greatest number of people.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

I refute the belief that scientist and researcher should concentrate on the research on the areas that are beneficial to larger people. If that would have been the case we would have been deprived of inventions like gravity, mobile technology, mars mission, life saving antidotes, etc. Every invention starts with luxury and then become necessity.

Every invention are initially beneficial to small group of people but over the time it gains momentum and popularity. Take an example of telephone, Graham Bell didn't invent the telephone with the insight of benefiting the large audiences. Over the period of time people realized the necessity of the telephone and now it is one of the universal medium of communication. Same applies for mobile technology. In country like India, mobile was introduced targeting the high profile celebrities and politicians but over the time it became necessity to the middle class group as well.

Another example would be mars mission. Countries are investing billions of dollars for mars mission. Purpose of Mars mission is to find if there is or was any life on Mars. At this point of this it may not be beneficial for ordinary people like us but in future it can be place to live and people may travel to mars. Some researches are done with the purpose to know our surrounding and not for the benefit of people. Inventions like gravity which is now integral part of physics wouldn't have been there if Newton would have looked for it benefits to number of people.

Instead of looking for benefit for greater number of people it is important to target effectiveness and purpose. Scientist and researchers are dedicating their life to prepare antidote for insidious disease like Cancer and AID's and they are heading towards success to eradicate some of the life threatening diseases. If scientist would have thought about the number of people getting benefited by their medicine they would have only researched on fever and cold medicines.

To conclude, if the scientist and researchers would have focused on the areas benefiting we would have been decades behind in the development and some of the inventions which were considered as superfluous and now necessity.

Every invention are initially beneficial
Every invention is initially beneficial

Need more arguments. Only examples are not enough.