Essay topics: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Sports teach people lessons about life.
Some people ignore sports by stating that sports are just a waste of time. However, I hold the view that sports are an integral part of people's lives, not only because of the obvious health benefit sports bring to people, but also because they can teach people lessons about life, that is, important experience and principles which are profoundly conducive to our life.
First of all, teamwork is probably the most important quality interpreted thoroughly by sports. During the process of daily training and formal performance, sports provide us a perfect platform to interact with each other. An individual in a sport team is just like a single assembly in the whole machine, and only through joint efforts with others can he actualize his personal worth. For instance, when playing a basketball game, we must learn to avoid showing off ourselves in order to keep the balance of the whole team, and to take the whole team-mates' circumstances into consideration instead of acting alone, otherwise we will be defeated by our opponents due to this split up. In this way, teamwork can be planted deeply in our minds, which is even more instructional when applied into other aspect of life, such as dealing with office relationships.
Second, sports can teach us the spirit of perseverance. Even in the midst of exhaustion, persistence leads players to beat their opponents. For example, in the NBA game between the Houston Rockets and the San Antonio Spurs in 2004, the Spurs gained a 74-66 lead within the last few minutes. A lot of audience left the Toyota Center, but T-Mac, the heart of the Rockets, did not want to lose the game. Therefore, he kept moving. At the end of the game, he offered an incredible performance, winning an unbelievable thirteen points within 35 seconds to beat the Spurs. People can learn a lesson about “never giving up” from this basketball game and T-Mac.
Last, sports can help us foster the right attitude towards win and lose, and even more importantly, the right attitude towards life. More often than not, sports games involve fierce competition rather than entertainment or relaxation. We pursue the final victory at the expense of intense exercise for months, and even years. During the whole arduous process, the desire for success is the most strongly spiritual support and inspiring faith. Unfortunately however, there are more chances for failures as there is only one champion in a single session, so we are taught to be calm when confronted with rare success and unexpected failures through numerous cheers and tears.
In conclusion, not only do sports raise our awareness of teamwork, but they also encourage us to pursue the balance between success and failure. Indeed, playing sports teaches us profound meanings about life. Thus, it is advisable for people to choose one or two sports as their interests after work or school.
- Do you agree or disagree: The way people dresses is a good indication of his or her personality or character. (73)
- Some companies in the United States have developed "wellness" programs that give rewards or incentives to employees for achieving certain health-related goals, such as stopping smoking or losing weight. The rewards and incentives include cash pr (90)
- Some companies in the United States have developed "wellness" programs that give rewards or incentives to employees for achieving certain health-related goals, such as stopping smoking or losing weight. The rewards and incentives include cash pr (76)
- Your school wants to improve the quality of students’ life in the dormitory. Which one of the following do you think the school should build in dorms? 1. a quiet study area; 2. an exercise room for students to keep physical well-being; 3. a room for ent (73)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? One can learn a lot about another person from the books and the movies that the person likes. (73)
- What is the most useful action for people to help environment in their local communities? 1. plant trees and create parks; 2. persuade local shops to stop providing plastic bags for consumers; 3. increase access to public transportation (such as buses and (73)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more important to read or watch the news presented by people who have similar views than the news presented by those who have different views from you. (70)
- Taking a lot of time to make an important decision is often considered as a bad quality for a person, while some people think that it is a good quality for a person. Which do you prefer? (73)
- Some college teachers prefer to ask students to watch or listen to a recorded lecture before class. In class, they will ask students to do more practices about what they have learned from the lecture. Do you think this is an effective way and why? (73)
- Do you agree or disagree with the statement? The universities should spend more money in improving facilities (libraries, computer labs) than hiring famous teachers. (85)