It is better to have broad knowledge of many academic subjects than to specialize in one specific subject

It is better to have broad knowledge of many academic subjects than to specialize in one specific subject.

Imagine if you are given the chance of choosing between having broad knowledge of many academic subjects and having specialized in one specific subject. What would you do? They are both great for improving our lives in a way. While some people think it is better to have broad knowledge, I disagree with them. And I will discuss my reasons in this essay.

First, specializing in one specific subject helps you find a job more than having broad knowledge do. In this highly competitive 21st century people need professional skills to get a job. And having broad knowledge can't help you much with it because you only have shallow understanding of each subject, way below the standards of professional personnel. On the other hand, if you choose to specialize in a particular subject, then with the deeper knowledge you have in your mind, you can secure a job more easily. And usually the more you are trained in a specific field, the more likely you will get a highly paid job. For example, my uncle, a hardworking biology scientist, has a well understanding of his field because he is specialized in it. And now he works in a pharmacy company with enviable high salaries.

Second, having a broad knowledge doesn't have the advantages over specializing in one subject on the efforts you need to be successful. As the aforementioned reason suggests, we need deeper understanding of a subject to get a highly paid job. And although with broad knowledge on many subjects we can quickly decide which is your favorite one, after that we have to study from a much lower level of knowledge in that specific subject compared to those who have already specialized in it. Thus, it requires more effort to be successful.

In a nutshell, having broad knowledge or specializing in a particular field are both great, however, it is unconvincing to say broad knowledge is better because specializing in a specific subject help us to find good jobs more easily and make us pay less efforts to be successful

way below the standards
??? below the standards

has a well understanding
has a good understanding

specializing in a specific subject help us
specializing in a specific subject helps us