"Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey asked video-game players what features they thought were most impo

"Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey asked video-game players what features they thought were most important in a video game. According to the survey, players prefer games that provide lifelike graphics, which require the most up-to-date computers. Whirlwind has just introduced several such games with an extensive advertising campaign directed at people ten to twenty-five years old, the age-group most likely to play video games. It follows, then, that the sales of Whirlwind video games are likely to increase dramatically in the next few months.

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The originator of the argument predicts that introduction of new games with lifelike graphics will dramatically skyrocket Whirlwind's sales. This statement is supported by evidence which is connected with the conclusion by several assumptions which ought to be carefully scrutinized in order to give a comprehensive estimation of the soundness of the argument.

The argument is started with the statement that two-year- long decline in sales will be reversed after new video games are introduced. The writer assumes that the root of the Whirlwind's problem is absence of games with lifelike graphics; however, some unstated factors may lead to the decline. For example, poor management or company's policy, for instance, if Whirlwind did not promote properly its products, they may not be known by public or the company may have some financial problems which limit its possibility to invest money in development of new products. Consequently, introduction of new video games with new features may not address the real problems and thus the expected result may not be acquired.

The second evidence which is given to us is that a recent survey has found that interviewed gamers value the most lifelike graphics. At the same time, we cannot be sure that this survey represents potential purchasers of Whirlwind's products. In this case, the usage of this data is highly questionable and even unreasonable.

The third evidence is that Whirlwind is going to introduce several games with lifelike graphics which require the most modern and powerful computers. This introduction will be accompanied by extensive advertising campaign. However, the target group of this campaign has age from 10 to 25 years old. Perhaps these customers do not have needed equipment to play these games. However, even if these players have required computers, it is quite possible that rival companies have already introduced games with these features, consequently, the niche may be occupied by other companies.

Finally, the arguer asserts that after sales of these games begin, the company will undergo dramatic increase in sales in next mounts. Unfortunately, our analysis has demonstrated that this assumption is excessively optimistic and probably the increase may never happen. The writer might have made the argument stronger had he filled holes which our analysis has discovered. Till we are not given this information the author's belief is unreasonable.

In conclusion, the writer believes that introduction of several video games with lifelike graphics will reverse current situation and company's sales will enhance significantly in short period of time; however, the evidence used to bolster this conclusion seems to be irrelevant to author's case thus the argument is weak and infirm.

argument 4 -- not OK. Why you think: Unfortunately, our analysis has demonstrated that this assumption is excessively optimistic and probably the increase may never happen.?
---------------