Essay topics: The following appeared in an editorial in a business magazine.
"Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey asked video-game players what features they thought were most important in a video game. According to the survey, players prefer games that provide lifelike graphics, which require the most up-to-date computers. Whirlwind has just introduced several such games with an extensive advertising campaign directed at people ten to twenty-five years old, the age-group most likely to play video games. It follows, then, that the sales of Whirlwind video games are likely to increase dramatically in the next few months."
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.
The business magazine has anticipated that the Whirlwind video game's sale will incline strikingly in next few months since a survey has shown people shows eagerness to a type of games recently introduced by Whirlwind and advertisement used by this company attracts a big portion of video game player. This prediction and its rearing surmises cannot be accepted as they stand since the author har relied on the series of hypotheses all of which are doubtful and questionable.
The first assumed and shaky surmise is based on the reference to a study, the writer has believed that the Whirlwind video games will get popular among the people. Actually, there is no cogent background about this study; whether the study had covered the popular and fair study cases or not is the fact which makes this assumption to be skeptical. Research or study can be a logic base of reference if it entire represents the entire target population based on the various parameters such as the gender, age range, or cognition stands. For example, if during this study merely the females are interviewed, the outcome of this study cannot be overgeneralized over the whole male and female. Meanwhile, the women wish to play lifelike games, the men are eager for playing the action ones. Therefore, referring to a faint survey about which there is no background clue and information, is a deadened task.
Another flawed assumption is the advertisement which is assumed is directly has targeted the right age range. Nevertheless, there is no evidence that which aging group the Whirlwind video game is covering. There is the possibility that the game contains some violence or sexual content which is allowed for the over the twenties. In this case, the hypothesis that the extensive games targeted at the age of ten and twenty-five would attract more costumer is not sound. Indeed, these ads merely address one-third of its aimed consumers. Besides, there is rearing information about the willing to play video games age-range. The prompt has mentioned that ten and twenty-five are considered as the proper marketing target; however, there is no cogent data about this assertation. Maybe this range is wider than the assumed one and covers between the seven to thirty. In this scenario, if the ads merely are focused on the narrow range, it would miss the bigger potential consumers.
Finally, even both aforesaid surmises are verified; the belief that the Whirlwind would get an increased sale in the few months is shaky too. This assumption is plausible in case that all factors are assumed to be satiable during this period. However, in the real situation, there is on such a consistent situation. For instance, there is a feasibility that rival companies have introduced more appealing video games which attract more consumers. Or the youth's idea has altered about the attractive video games, and presented option by the Whirlwind is no longer that much interesting. In both cases, the Whirlwind would miss its consumers.
To wrap it up, all the aforementioned arguments explicitly depict that this prompt and its rearing surmises are shaky and faint, and it requires further explanation to be approved as a valid case. The writer has to provide the concrete data about the research study and its case studies, the accuracy of an advertisement and it matches with the target market; also, all factors are sustainable during the next few months during which the author assumed Whirlwind will achieve financial success.
- 17.The following appeared in a memo from the director of a large group of hospitals."In a laboratory study of liquid antibacterial hand soaps, a concentrated solution of UltraClean produced a 40 percent greater reduction in the bacteria population th (58)
- The following appeared in a letter from a firm providing investment advice to a client."Homes in the northeastern United States, where winters are typically cold, have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for heating. Last year that region expe (54)
- 1.The main benefit of the study of history is to dispel the illusion that people living now are significantly different from people who lived in earlier times.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the stateme (50)
- The following appeared in a memo from the president of Bower Builders, a company that constructs new homes."A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. A number of h (58)
- . Many important discoveries or creations are accidental: it is usually while seeking the answer to one question that we come across the answer to another.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement a (66)
- 14.The following appeared in a memo from the vice president of marketing at Dura-Sock, Inc."A recent study of our customers suggests that our company is wasting the money it spends on its patented Endure manufacturing process, which ensures that our (60)
- 1.In order for any work of art — for example, a film, a novel, a poem, or a song — to have merit, it must be understandable to most people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain y (58)
- The following appeared in an editorial in a business magazine."Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey (44)
- 1.The effectiveness of a country's leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for (66)
- Humans arrived in the Kaliko Islands about 7,000 years ago, and within 3,000 years most of the large mammal species that had lived in the forests of the Kaliko Islands had become. Yet humans cannot have been a factor in the species' extinctions, because t (43)