The following appeared in an editorial in a business magazine."Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey aske

The following appeared in an editorial in a business magazine.

"Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey asked video-game players what features they thought were most important in a video game. According to the survey, players prefer games that provide lifelike graphics, which require the most up-to-date computers. Whirlwind has just introduced several such games with an extensive advertising campaign directed at people ten to twenty-five years old, the age-group most likely to play video games. It follows, then, that the sales of Whirlwind video games are likely to increase dramatically in the next few months."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what...

The argument above is well-presented and appears to be relatively sound at first glance. Since the Whirlwind has recently introduced their games with the most-valued feature of customers, the assertion that the sales of the company will increase in the near future seems logical. However, as more light is shed on the issue and more detailed facts are concerned, the unsubstantiated assumption lead me to question the validity of the argument.

First, the author assumes that the result of recent survey can be taken at face value. Since recent survey reveals that video-game players put high-value on lifelike graphics, including this feature in the game will engender them to purchase these games. However, the author should take into account that games that provide lifelike graphic requires the most state-of-the-art computers, and the exorbitant cost of these computers halt people from purchasing these games. If this would be the case, unlike the author’s prediction, many people will not buy games of Whirlwind, and therefore, the conclusion can be weaken.

Another assumption the author makes is that advertising campaign directed at people ten to twenty-five years old will yield a myriad of benefits to Whirlwind. Since people in this age range are those who are mostly play video games, the author hastily believes that they will purchase Whirlwind’s video games. However, it should be noted that most of people in this age rage are students, so they are mostly strapped for cash to buy such games. In other words, even though they may want to buy these lifelike graphic games of Whirlwind, their parents who are able to buy these games for their children may disincline to buy such games. If this would be the case, this targeted advertisement may not be proven effective.

Lastly, the author assumes the soundness of the conclusion that the sales of the company’s video games are likely to rise dramatically in the near future. However, the author should consider other factors such as economic circumstance that might affect the sales of Whirlwind video games. In all likelihood, the economic situation in the near future will be aggravate at an exponential rate so that people may not choose to purchase it. As a result, the sales of Whirlwind may stay constant at best. Even if the economic condition stays stable, it should be noted that the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, so it will take some time to recover from the adverse financial situation. Therefore, more time is needed to see the tremendous change in the sales.

To sum up, the argument is not cogent on many grounds. To bolster the argument, the author should provide aforementioned assumptions.

argument 2 -- not OK. why students?

----------------

read a sample:
http://www.testbig.com/gmatgre-essays/following-appeared-editorial-busi…