Essay topics: The following appeared in a memo from New Ventures Consulting to the president of HobCo, Inc., a chain of hobby shops.
"Our team has completed its research on suitable building sites for a new HobCo hobby Shop in the city of Grilldon. We discovered that there are currently no hobby shops in southeastern Grilldon. When our researchers conducted a poll of area residents, 88 percent of those who responded indicated that they would welcome the opening of a hobby shop in southeastern Grilldon. Grilldon is in a region of the nation in which the hobby business has increased by 300 percent during the past decade. In addition, Grilldon has a very large population of retirees, a demographic with ample time to devote to hobbies. We therefore recommend that you choose southeastern Grilldon as the site for your next HobCo Hobby Shop. We predict that a shop in this area will draw a steady stream of enthusiastic new HobCo customers."
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.
Hobby means an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure. In the given argument the New Ventures Consulting wrote memo to the president of HobCo, Inc., which is a chain of hobby shops. They are assumed that people will surely like the hobby shop concepts in Southeastern Grilldon city also. As 88 percent respond in poll that they would welcome the opening of a hobby shop in their town. The argument seems to be convincible at first glance but there is lack of evidences to support their stance well.
Moreover, the resident’s poll in positive way which does not only indicate that they will welcome the hobby shops. It may also show that they are excited for such a new concept of hobby shop, but they did not mention that they would like to become regular customers. As I had seen in some town’s new restaurants full of customers initially to taste food but slowly people seeking for something new in their town. The research did not explain whether people welcome for joining the hobby shops or only they are happy because something new venture will open. As well as the research also not specifies the 88 percent belongs to which population of the city. They are mostly old aged people or children, or they are adults. It is important to collect information about age group before relying on the research.
Furthermore, the ventures consulting assumed that in southeastern Grilldon large number of retires lived and they would enjoy spending their time and money in hobby. The only old age people are more in the city is not convincing for investment for Hobby shop because people should have purchasing power and time than the shop will work successfully. For example, one of my friends opened coaching classes in an area where most of the below middle-class people lived. He thought there are so many students and starting the classes will be hit idea in that area, but he did not get benefit because they did not have much money to spent on coaching’s. Similarly, if we suppose mostly people are old aged but they don't have money to spend then the idea to start Hobby shop in Grilldon area will become flop.
However, the hobby business has increased by 300 percent during last decade so that the hobby shop in this area will draw a steady stream of enthusiastic new HobCo customers. There is not any solid data which prove the increase in hobby business and in ten years of span the population also increase as well as shift. Here the writer missed very important information that there are different hobbies such as gardening, reading, music, dance, writing, speaking, gaming and so on. Some of the hobbies do not require large expenditures it may possible mostly people prefer such hobbies. To start new Hobby Shops the president should collect new data related to interest and demographics of the city.
Conclusively, the given argument is based on inconvincible evidences which makes it unsatisfied. Because of lack of evidences the argument is not likely to have appropriate predicted results. So, the writer should rethink about his idea before starting Hobby Shops in southeastern Grilldon.
- The following appeared in a memo from the mayor of Brindleburg to the city council."Two years ago, the town of Seaside Vista opened a new municipal golf course and resort hotel. Since then, the Seaside Vista Tourism Board has reported a 20% increase (68)
- The following appeared in a memo from the vice president of a company that builds shopping malls around the country."The surface of a section of Route 101, paved just two years ago by Good Intentions Roadways, is now badly cracked with a number of da (58)
- The following appeared in a recommendation from the president of Amburg's Chamber of Commerce."Last October the city of Belleville installed high-intensity lighting in its central business district, and vandalism there declined within a month. T (58)
- The following appeared as part of an article in a Dillton newspaper."In an effort to bring new jobs to Dillton and stimulate the city's flagging economy, Dillton's city council voted last year to lower the city's corporate tax rate by (51.5)
- The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company."According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than i (40)
- Some people argue that successful leaders in government, industry, or other fields must be highly competitive. Other people claim that in order to be successful, a leader must be willing and able to cooperate with othersWrite a response in which you discu (50)
- The following appeared in a memo from New Ventures Consulting to the president of HobCo, Inc., a chain of hobby shops."Our team has completed its research on suitable building sites for a new HobCo hobby Shop in the city of Grilldon. We discovered th (53)
- The following appeared in an editorial in a business magazine."Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey (56.5)
- Humans arrived in the Kaliko Islands about 7,000 years ago, and within 3,000 years most of the large mammal species that had lived in the forests of the Kaliko Islands had become extinct. Yet humans cannot have been a factor in the species' extinctio (44)
- The following appeared in a health magazine."The citizens of Forsythe have adopted more healthful lifestyles. Their responses to a recent survey show that in their eating habits they conform more closely to government nutritional recommendations than (60)