Essay topics: The following is a recommendation from the Board of Directors of Monarch Books.
"We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because it is known for its wide selection of books on all subjects. Clearly, opening the café would attract more customers. Space could be made for the café by discontinuing the children's book section, which will probably become less popular given that the most recent national census indicated a significant decline in the percentage of the population under age ten. Opening a café will allow Monarch to attract more customers and better compete with Regal Books, which recently opened its own café."
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.
In the recommendation to the Monarch Books Board of Directors, it is stated that to set up a cafe in Monarch Books store in the place of children’s book section. The following conclusion is made on the assumption that opening a cafe attracts more customers and as census report states that population under age 10 is very low in the country. However, after more light is shed on the issue and more detailed facts are concerned, lack of answers through the argument leads me to question its validity.
First of all, as the store is known for the wide range of variety of books, how can be the uniqueness maintained if children’s section is closed? It might be possible that the people are coming to the store by bringing their children. In this way, maybe parents are also willing to read few books and buy some. If the children’s section is closed then maybe no parent comes to the store. People might be dispassionate about having a cafe inside a book store. If the above mentioned assumption is merit, then the argument is weakened.
Secondly, how accurate is the census report? In other words, does census report gives information about each and every area in the country? It might be possible that census has just given the information about the country but not about the state or the county. Perhaps, kids might be more in the region where Monarch Books is present. These kids might be good readers. If the above mentioned assumption is true, then the argument does not hold water.
Finally, where did the Regal Books opened their cafe? In other words, did Regal Books open their cafe by removing a section or they have put up outside the store? Maybe Regal store has a space outside their store and they have used it for this cafe. How well having a cafe is attracting the customers? It can be true that no person is showing any interest to attend a cafe. Having a cafe might exacerbate the situation of Regal store. If the above mentioned situation is true then the argument does not hold strength.
To conclude, the argument, which stands as of now, is considerably flawed. However, if more evidence is offered and answers to the above mentioned questions are given by the author, then the argument can be evaluated possibly.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|15 hours 44 min ago||Anshul Agrawal||70||Read full essay|
|3 weeks 3 days ago||JavadMAlizadeh||70||Read full essay|
|1 month 4 weeks ago||kook||59||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 weeks ago||Hibajbarah||78||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 weeks ago||Raunaq||68||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 weeks ago||kumar_venkatesh||68||Read full essay|
|2 months 3 weeks ago||jojo2333||62.5||Read full essay|
|3 months 3 days ago||Chandana||68||Read full essay|
|3 months 2 weeks ago||omarsamiiir||68||Read full essay|
|3 months 2 weeks ago||dennisagnew10@y...||66||Read full essay|
- The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants."Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little im (49)
- To be an effective leader, a public official must maintain the highest ethical and moral standards.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In (58)
- The following is a recommendation from the Board of Directors of Monarch Books."We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base bec (60)
- Claim: Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's major field of study.Reason: Acquiring knowledge of various academic disciplines is the best way to become truly educated.Write a response in which yo (58)
- Claim: Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's major field of study.Reason: Acquiring knowledge of various academic disciplines is the best way to become truly educated.Write a response in which yo (50)
- Pirouettes Ballet School is the clear choice for any child. Of all the dance schools in Elmtown, Pirouettes has the most intensive program, and our teachers have danced in the most prestigious ballet companies all over the world. Many of our students have (60)
- Mass media and the internet have caused people’s attention spans to get shorter. However, the overall effect has been positive: while people are less able to focus on one thing, they more than make up for it with an enhanced ability to sort through lar (50)
- "All students should be required to take the driver's education course at Centerville High School. In the past two years, several accidents in and around Centerville have involved teenage drivers. Since a number of parents in Centerville have co (38)
- In any profession — business, politics, education, government — those in power should step down after five years.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position (58)
- "During the past year, workers at our newly opened factory reported 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than workers at nearby Panoply Industries. Panoply produces products very similar to those produced at our factory, but its work shifts are one h (57)