Educators should base their assessment of students learning not on students grasp of facts but on the ability to explain the ideas trends and concepts that those facts illustrate Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disag

Educators should base their assessment of students' learning not on students' grasp of facts
but on the ability to explain the ideas, trends, and concepts that those facts illustrate.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

It is necessary for educators to assess students on their understanding of facts, and the ability of these students to relate the acquired knowledge with their immediate environment. While the latter might seem like an arduous and strenuous task, it is more beneficial than the former. Thus, the assessment of student’s learning should be based on students’ ability to explain ideas, concepts that facts illustrate.

When examinations are based on conceptual learning, students are motivated. This is because learning becomes interesting when we can relate what we learnt with our immediate environment. A physics student relating the theory of gravity to the fall of an object from a tower will definitely be more interested in the subject than a geography student who finds it difficult to comprehend how Jupiter planet looks like. Relating what is being taught with immediate environment increases students’ engagement in subject as pupils will become inquisitive. These students will want to know more.

Apart from students’ interest in the subject waxing, they will also be able to solve societal problems. Through this, the true purpose of education - which is to begets competent professionals – will be served. These students, who are able to relate their knowledge with their environs, will be spurred to apply their knowledge. An electrical engineering student will tend to fix electrical appliances. Also, an automobile engineering student will naturally be prompted to practice fixing automobiles during their leisure period. The upshot of this is that the society will advance enormously. There will be several unprecendented innovations in almost all spheres of the society.

Some well-learned individuals might tend to quibble that this mode of assessment will lead to prejudice against students who learning disability. They might even cavil further that these method of assessment will require more resources than the conventional assessment of facts. This is true to some extent. However, we need to consider the vantage of concept-based assessment. If assessment is based on the understanding of trends and ideas, students who possess learning difficulties will be forced to think deeply. This deep thinking will definitely help ameliorate their deficiency. Also, the benefit of this method supercedes it cost expenses.

In summary, while there are several ways educators could assess students’ understanding of a subject, it is most apropos and highly pragmatic for pedagogues to examine their pupils based on their prowess to explain the trends and ideas associated with certain facts. This concept examination will galvanize the students to relate what they have learnt with their surrounding. These students, who will be assessed based on their ability to relate their knowledge with their environments, will also be able think creatively and provide solutions to exigent societal issues. Therefore, educational institutions should adopt concept-assessment method rather than the musty fact examination that is generally used today.