Essay topics: If a goal is worthy, then any means taken to attain it are justifiable.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.
We often hear the phrase "the ends justify the means," usually in response to engaging in questionable behaviors to achieve an end goal. However, these actions can cause many different fallouts, including harming others or even risking the stability of the goal. Thus, even if a goal is worthy, individuals should remain true to their morals and think about the good of society before engaging in any activities to achieve it for two reasons.
Firstly, there are many alternative methods to achieving a goal, some good and some bad. Take, for example, a women who wants to start her own business and lies about her education and previous experience to do so. Additionally, she bypasses regulations through bribes and cheap tricks. Eventually, she may be able to start and run her business, but there is no guarantee that her previous actions will not still affect her. The individuals she bribed may quit their jobs, so the men who replace them may realize her misdemeanor and shut down her business. Additionally, her lack of education may eventually contribute to the demise of her business. It is evident that starting her business through lies and deceit diminishes the goal's worth and it can be taken away at any time. This method of achieving her goals, as opposed to following the rules and receiving the required education, is far riskier and qualifies the tangibility of the end goal. Thus, it is important to act according to moral values and social/legal requirements when pursuing a goal in order to increase chances of success and result in a far more gratifying success.
Secondly, a goal's worth is purely subjective, and usually far more important in the eyes of the beholder. An individual may believe his goals are far superior to that of anyone else's and deserves the highest chance of success. However, others in society may not agree with him and would not willing to become collateral damage in the individual's quest for success. Take for example, a young man who wants his rural town to become the next big hub. Without asking his society, he begins measures to make his dream a reality, thus destroying the livelihood of all his neighbors. In this case, the individual believes his goal justifies his actions and he steps on his neighbors toes to achieve it, but his society disagrees. Although his goal may be fulfilled, his society will not celebrate the success with him, which reduces the value of the success. Thus, individuals should think about society and how their own goals will work to better society before engaging in actions that will alienate them.
Proponents of the idea that the ends justify the means may state that staunch determination is necessary to fulfill a goal, and worrying about morality or the greater good will not result in success. However, success without the support of others or content in yourself, will be less rewarding than if society supports your actions and you stayed true to yourself the entire way through. Thus, more than just determination is needed. The ends hardly ever justify the means, especially if the means involve harming others and resorting to immoral actions.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|1 week 1 day ago||sefeliz||66||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 4 days ago||mflzzz||16||Read full essay|
|1 month 3 weeks ago||nikkk||66||Read full essay|
|1 month 3 weeks ago||nikkk||16||Read full essay|
|1 month 3 weeks ago||echoingdowns||16||Read full essay|
|2 months 3 weeks ago||fernanf||83||Read full essay|
|2 months 4 weeks ago||Gh.Ne||79||Read full essay|
|3 months 2 weeks ago||Anuraag97||75||Read full essay|
|4 months 1 week ago||Ghader||66||Read full essay|
|4 months 2 weeks ago||sanket007||50||Read full essay|
- The following appeared in the summary of a study on headaches suffered by the residents of Mentia."Salicylates are members of the same chemical family as aspirin, a medicine used to treat headaches. Although many foods are naturally rich in salicylat (58)
- The main benefit of the study of history is to dispel the illusion that people living now are significantly different from people who lived in earlier times.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement (66)
- The vice president of human resources at Climpson Industries sent the following recommendation to the company's president."A recent national survey found that the majority of workers with access to the Internet at work had used company computers (48)
- If a goal is worthy, then any means taken to attain it are justifiable.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting yo (58)
- The following appeared in a magazine article about planning for retirement."Clearview should be a top choice for anyone seeking a place to retire, because it has spectacular natural beauty and a consistent climate. Another advantage is that housing c (66)
- People should undertake risky action only after they have carefully considered its consequences.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. I (66)
- The following appeared in a memo from the president of Bower Builders, a company that constructs new homes."A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. A number of h (58)
- Educational institutions should actively encourage their students to choose fields of study in which jobs are plentiful.Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and (50)
- The following appeared in a memo from the marketing director of Top Dog Pet Stores."Five years ago, Fish Emporium started advertising in the magazine Exotic Pets Monthly. Their stores saw sales increase by 15 percent. The three Fish Emporium stores (68)
- Some people believe that the purpose of education is to free the mind and the spirit. Others believe that formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free.Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely alig (66)