Scientists and other researchers should focus their research on areas that are likely to benefit the greatest number of people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoni

Scientists and other researchers should focus their research on areas that are likely to benefit the greatest number of people.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

Scientific research is not well defined in the sense that, it is highly unpredictable and much effort must be put in research to achieve results - or fail completely. Such a long laborious process, such as in the field of cancer cure of HIV vaccines, should help as many as possible - for the greater good of mankind. Research is not only being lead by first world countries - but financed by them as well, and thus not only financial questions are asked - but moral ones as well.

Excruciating diseases, often referred to as the plagues of the 21st century, affect the lives of billions and are not endemic to a certain location - they are shared by first and third world countries alike. Mankind, ironically, is united by its terminal fate and it is through efforts made by first world countries - people of the third world countries could be saved, bringing humanity, on the grand scale, to a better future as a species, where not only we are healthier - diseases abolished - greater equality amongst world countries. This will help not only current third world countries burning issues - but future ones as well - by the time they will become as advanced as some of the modern day countries of the west.

Nevertheless, looking beyond these noble ideas, to the question of what is financially sound, these vast efforts of a grand scale require financial support as well, either supported by either governments and hence - directly by the people, or by private efforts - be it private universities or the direct investments of modern day billionaires - such as in the case of Bill Gates, investing in future sexual disease preventive measures. In the modern day financial system we live in, firms such as insurance companies are reluctant to insure those with terminal illnesses and governments have increasing spending on national health expenses, spending money on immediate health care expenses. Current research can help, if not eliminating, subdue terminal illnesses and turn them into nothing more than a constant condition. For example - HIV has become a lower risk diseases with current medication, compared to diabetes. Where a great number of people suffer, there would be a higher consensus for public funding for advanced research.

However, a line has to be drawn, since today’s rare diseases might be tomorrow’s a pervasive illness, prevailing over the modern world through the non ending network of plains, spreading illness, ironically, through progress. Hundred of years ago, people were not aware of cancer,nor did they live long enough for the body to betray itself. Diseases themselves are becoming immune to modern devices such antibiotics and thus, due to the obscure nature of a convoluted network of hard to predict elements - starting with financial capability, unknown upcoming problems brought by our technological advancements and through the sheer effect of biology - research must be advanced in all directions.

In summary, though it is not only crucial, but practical to invest in research that would help as many as possible, we must invest in all types of research.

Research is not only being lead by first world countries
Research is not only being led by first world countries

A lot of 'not only'

-------------------------