The following appeared in a memorandum from the planning department of an electric power company Several recent surveys indicate that home owners are increasingly eager to conserve energy At the same time manufacturers are now marketing many home applianc

The following appeared in a memorandum from the planning department of an electric power company.
"Several recent surveys indicate that home owners are increasingly eager to conserve energy. At the same time, manufacturers are now marketing many home appliances, such as refrigerators and air conditioners, that are almost twice as energy efficient as those sold a decade ago. Also, new technologies for better home insulation and passive solar heating are readily available to reduce the energy needed for home heating. Therefore, the total demand for electricity in our area will not increase — and may decline slightly. Since our three electric generating plants in operation for the past twenty years have always met our needs, construction of new generating plants will not be necessary."
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

In the argument, the author concludes that the total demand for electricity in the area will not increase, in fact it may decline slightly as the existing three electric generating plants in operation for the past twenty years have always met the need of the area. While it understandable that the electric energy efficiencies are increased over the decade due to the new technology, the conclusion of the author is rife with holes and assumption. To strong the conclusion, the author must provide at least three valid evidences of the assumptions author made throughout the argument.

At first, the author present some ‘recent’ survey stating that home owners are increasingly eager to conserve energy. The presented survey didn’t disclose it’s extant of question that have been asked to the homeowners and have no clue about the data size of the survey. For example, they may have asked to the homeowner about the recent increase of the tax on non-renewable energy or what they think about the current global warming issues, whether they prefer to live on the increasing hot temperature or like to conserve the nature or may be any other topics that dedicated only one or two question about conservation of energy – the point is, the author did not present the survey result as cogent or representative or trustworthy. As there is a possibility that the survey may have not represent the actual scenario of the homeowners intention, it lost its validity and the author must present a comprehensive and representative survey on the homeowners thought and willingness of energy conservation.

Secondly, the author assumes that manufacturers marketing home appliances that are almost twice as energy efficient as those sold previously. It may be true because of the invention of new technology that the new home appliances are more efficient but it lonely not justify the needness of new power plant. It very much possible that the population of the area increased in the past decade and the willingness to conserve energy alone is not enough to reduce the energy consumption. There is a very much possibility that the necessity of the refrigerator and air conditioners increased in comparison to the past decade. as the food storage is a common tendencies of the people of the 21st censury, the number of user of refrigerators must have tremendously increased; again in the current society, every household must have atleast one refrigerators. The global warming also contribute to the increased use of air conditioners in daily life. Though the new technologies for better ome insulation and passive solar heating are available, the actual comparison between the energy needed for the users and the energy provided by the solar system was not shown and thus, made the total reliability of the ‘new solar energy induced appliance’ invalid. The author must provide the required and provided energy comparison to strong his or her arguments
The third assumption made by the author is that the total demand of the electricity will decrease and there is no need for another power plant as the current three power plant provided the required electricity for the past 20 years. There is a possibility that the population of the area is going to increase significantly as there is a development project ongoing more residential area which is under the authority of the argumented power board. The point is the author did not give any strong evidence why he or she assumes that there is no need for another power plant and why total demand will decrease; relaying on only the technological advancenment does not provide the enough validity to the argument.

Finally, the energy conservation is a global issues and homeowners may also concern about the global warming but it does not validate that they will reduce the use of electricity though there is continuous new technologies available.