Essay topics: True success can be measured primarily in terms of the goals one sets for oneself.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.
The definition of success is an elusive one. The above statement claims that it can be gauged in terms of the ambitions one set for themselves. It can become myopic to gauge success simply in terms of goals, however there is merit to such a conclusion.
Success widely varies from person to person, while considering circumstances as well. If a four year old child can find the sum of thirteen and eight, it can be interpreted as a success for that child, but one would not consider to give a second glance if a fourteen year old can perform the same activity. So it is difficult to gauge success based on particular activities and becomes much easier to explain once you have an ambition oriented view of success.
Goals also varies with individuals, and human beings, for all their greatness, are prone to be rife with malicious intent. Consider for example the goal of Ted Bundy, a notorious serial killer. His goal was to rape and kill random women he met. And in that respect he has achieved his goal more than twenty times, so in that respect one can coin him as a “successful” serial killer. But can you define it as true success?
But at the same time if we forgo goals as a defining parameter for success, then we are inclined to attach more a materialistic definition for success, namely money and wealth. But should is that truely a well rounded gauge? There are many people in this world where circumstances inhibit him from attaining wealth, like a person living in an isolated island or in a war torn nation, do we have the right to define his life unsuccessful? What if he scavanges food and shelter for his family, provides important medicare for the sick and is responsible for the survival of his community. How can we define him unsuccessful. However, his ambition could be different. Perhaps he strives to be an engineer, but his difficult situation is preventing him from achieving his goals. So if I ascribe to the above statement he is a failure in that respect as well. Rather we can view him as a successful saviour of his community.
In conclusion, while defining success can be a difficult task, we cannot simply measure it in terms of goals. But rather we should departmentalise success and define it with respect to the task carried out. In the above examples Ted Bundy was a successful serial killer and definitely a horrendous person. While the boy in my above example may have been an unsuccessful engineer but he definitely is successful in terms of the survival of his community.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|2 weeks 4 days ago||irineti||33||Read full essay|
|1 month 2 weeks ago||nischalbaral609...||50||Read full essay|
|1 month 3 weeks ago||Gh.Ne||58||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 days ago||Raj.shikhar.gupta||50||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 days ago||wenye||58||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 days ago||wenye||58||Read full essay|
|2 months 3 weeks ago||mhayat29||50||Read full essay|
|3 months 3 weeks ago||heshan007||58||Read full essay|
|5 months 5 days ago||sahil555||50||Read full essay|
|6 months 4 weeks ago||anuragswain||50||Read full essay|
- The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company."According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than i (38)
- The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree (58)
- The following letter is from a group of Linford College alumni to the chair of the artdepartment at the college.“In a recent survey of college graduates, 90 percent agreed that participating in aninternship increased their chances of finding a job after (54)
- Some people believe that success in creative fields, such as painting, fiction writing, andfilmmaking, primarily requires hard work and perseverance. Others believe that suchsuccess mainly requires innate talents that cannot be learned.Write a response in (50)
- In surveys Mason City residents rank water sports (swimming, boating and fishing) among their favorite recreational activities. The Mason River flowing through the city is rarely used for these pursuits, however, and the city park department devotes littl (50)
- A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college. (50)
- Some young adults want independence from their parents as soon as possible. Other young adults prefer to live with their families for a longer time. Which of these situations do you think is better? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinio (80)
- Altruism is a type of behavior in which an animal sacrifices its own interest for that of another animal or group of animals. Altruism is the opposite of selfishness; individuals performing altruistic acts gain nothing for themselves.Examples of altruism (76)
- Altruism (3)
- True success can be measured primarily in terms of the goals one sets for oneself.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and su (50)